Need Stable Free Popup Blocker

Mike

Splendid

I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't call
home as a popup blocker.
However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup blocker on
ten pcs. I still want to use
the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker that
doesn't interfere with the opearation
of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?

Thanks,

Mike

ahall

Mike> I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't call
Mike> home as a popup blocker.

Firefox.

Mike> However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup blocker on
Mike> ten pcs. I still want to use
Mike> the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker that

Oh, under IE. Problem.

Mike> doesn't interfere with the opearation
Mike> of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?

Mike> Thanks,

Mike> Mike

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

I think you've gotten good advice on alternative pop-up blockers. However I
think the problems you're having aren't from websites you visit but rather
spyware. Go and download SpyBot or Adware, get their definition updates and
run it, run it again using the programs run at restart option and I think
you'll find quite a bit of stuff and a lot less pop-ups.

Good Luck,
Ben

Mike wrote:
> I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't
> call home as a popup blocker.
> However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup
> blocker on ten pcs. I still want to use
> the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker
> that doesn't interfere with the opearation
> of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

There is a new generation of popups/popunders/popthroughs that are not
handled by the current generation of popup stoppers - yet. From my
experience, none of the current batch of stoppers, including my firewall
and AV, can deal with the new popups effectively.

> There is a new generation of popups/popunders/popthroughs that are not
> handled by the current generation of popup stoppers - yet. From my
> experience, none of the current batch of stoppers, including my firewall
> and AV, can deal with the new popups effectively.

What's a popup? I use the paid version of Kerio firewall and I'm not
getting this stuff. The free version will block popups during the trial
period. As noted elsewhere Ad-aware is a very useful tool as well.

TB

I use popup manager from http://www.endpopups.com/index.html.
Anne

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't
call
| home as a popup blocker.
| However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup
blocker on
| ten pcs. I still want to use
| the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker
that
| doesn't interfere with the opearation
| of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Mike

Zone Alarm Pro does a pretty good job too.

joe_tide wrote:
> Zone Alarm Pro does a pretty good job too.

This is somewhat off-topic, but there are a lot of complaints on CNET
and the ZoneAlarm user forums that the 5.0 releases of ZoneAlarm aren't
stable and don't play well with other applications, especially
anti-virus applications.

I have to admit, though, I'm running ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.015 (the
next-to-last release) and haven't noticed any problems. (Windows XP
Pro, IE 6.0, Mozilla 1.7, McAfee AntiVirus)

I'm holding off downloading the most recent release - I don't feel like
being a Zone Labs beta tester... ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it.")

If you're thinking of downloading Zone Alarm, you might want to stick to
the 4.5 release until Zone Labs gets the 5.0 bugs fixed. At least check
the readers forums first, before deciding which version to download...

Bob Pownall

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> joe_tide wrote:
> > Zone Alarm Pro does a pretty good job too.
>
> This is somewhat off-topic, but there are a lot of complaints on CNET
> and the ZoneAlarm user forums that the 5.0 releases of ZoneAlarm aren't
> stable and don't play well with other applications, especially
> anti-virus applications.

I started using Zone Alarm with the first free version. Eventually one
of the later versions started giving me a lot of false alarms. It claimed a
mystery program that kept changing its name and wasn't tracable was trying
to contact random addresses. I got rid of the problem by getting rid of Zone
Alarm. I tried going back recently, but as you note 5.x versions aren't
stable.

TB

bek

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't call
> home as a popup blocker.
> However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup blocker on
> ten pcs. I still want to use
> the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker that
> doesn't interfere with the opearation
> of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

I've tried several free programs and am really pleased with Pop This!...the
free version. Rarely do I ever see a pop up and it has run flawlessly on my
XP Home machine for 2 months now. They also have a Pro version with added
features for $12.50. I don't usually recommend software but if you are
looking for strictly a pop up stopper, this one works great. Don't know how
it will like Google Toolbar as I don't use that one.

http://www.surfapps.com/products.html

BEK

I've read some of that stuff too Bob, but I'm not having any trouble either.
Version 5.0.590.043

I'm using the Pro version of AVG - version 6.0.710 which, if I understand
it, isn't one of those Zone Alarm monitors anyway.

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> joe_tide wrote:
> > Zone Alarm Pro does a pretty good job too.
>
> This is somewhat off-topic, but there are a lot of complaints on CNET
> and the ZoneAlarm user forums that the 5.0 releases of ZoneAlarm aren't
> stable and don't play well with other applications, especially
> anti-virus applications.
>
> I have to admit, though, I'm running ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.015 (the
> next-to-last release) and haven't noticed any problems. (Windows XP
> Pro, IE 6.0, Mozilla 1.7, McAfee AntiVirus)
>
> I'm holding off downloading the most recent release - I don't feel like
> being a Zone Labs beta tester... ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it.")
>
> If you're thinking of downloading Zone Alarm, you might want to stick to
> the 4.5 release until Zone Labs gets the 5.0 bugs fixed. At least check
> the readers forums first, before deciding which version to download...
>
> Bob Pownall

They've got a new version of 5.0 on their site which is supposedly 'better'
than the original that many had problems with.

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

Technobarbarian wrote:

>> There is a new generation of popups/popunders/popthroughs that are
>> not handled by the current generation of popup stoppers - yet. From
>> my experience, none of the current batch of stoppers, including my
>> firewall and AV, can deal with the new popups effectively.
>
> What's a popup? I use the paid version of Kerio firewall and I'm
> not getting this stuff. The free version will block popups during the
> trial period. As noted elsewhere Ad-aware is a very useful tool as
> well.
>
> TB

I also use the latest registered Kerio & Google Toolbar. There are a
series of popups, reported on Slashdot AIRC, that look not quite like a
system alert that are among the popups that are using this new tech to
bypass the current crop of popup stoppers. They are infrequent, they
pop under, there is no windowing notice, so it is hard to determine
which site they are propagating from unless you open one browser window
and then close that window.

Ad-Aware AFIK has no popup stopping ability. Spybot will immunize
against browser hijacks but has no popup stopping ability.

"Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't call
> home as a popup blocker.
> However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup blocker on
> ten pcs. I still want to use
> the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker that
> doesn't interfere with the opearation
> of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

WindowsXP SP2 has a great blocker built in to Internet Explorer. SP2 should
be released within the next 60 days or so.

Stew

Jim

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:21:44 GMT, "Mike" <wxyz09@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've been using the Google Toolbar in the configuration that doesn't call
>home as a popup blocker.
>However, some popups still get through. I need to load a popup blocker on
>ten pcs. I still want to use
>the Google Toolbar w/ I. E. Any recommendations for a pop up blocker that
>doesn't interfere with the opearation
>of the PC, but still does a better job of blocking pop ups ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Try Mozilla in place of IE