Need startup help

G

When I start my computer up I get to a screen that lets me choose what operating system to boot off. They are both windows 2000, one of them works and the other one doesn't. I would like to know how to make it so that when my computer starts up it will always start off on the second one in the list without having to choose it every time I startup my computer. There are two because I had windows 2000 installed on another hard drive that was in my computer but it is no longer there because I gave that hard drive away to a friend. If anyone knows how to make it so it doesn't come up and only boots off one I would appreciate it.

Groundhogster

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Right click on my computer and choose properties. In the system properties box choose the Advanced tab. Click on Startup and recovery button. In the system startup area you click on the drop down list and choose the one you want as the default. If you don't plan on using the old one listed you could edit the boot.ini file. It is a hidden file located in the c:\ This file is read only so you have to take that off so it can be edited. Take out the line that is no longer needed. If you take out the wrong one your hosed and won't get back in. I would suggest the first option.

Are you the friend who works on computers? :cool:

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
LOL I have exactly the same problem after installing Win2k on another drive today.. problems with THAT particular thing coming in new thread..
however, according to my boot.ini, they read EXACTLY the same on the differential between the two systems.

check it out..

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

How can they read identically and still have one work and the other not??

The second one is the one I need to use as well...

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!

Raila

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
hm
nm
the first has 1 the second shows 0 for the disks.

Answered the question
Gotta take out the 1 listing because the drive I WANT to boot from is 0 :)

::learns to read better before opening mouth::

To Be or Not to be... DAMN but that is confusing!