Need suggestion for SSD

mosesr

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
I have Intel DG35EC motherboard (manufactured in 2009) and planning to purchase SSD. Can someone suggest me suitable brand? I will be using it only for OS as I have separate HDD for data.

P.S: If you can provide me information on installation that would be great. Thanks.

Your Intel LGA775 motherboard is an older model with four SATA 2 3Gb/s solid state drive connectors. It will not properly support modern 3rd generation SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drives. However, the SATA 3 drives are backward compatible with SATA2. You could purchase a SATA 3 ssd and it would be compatible with SATA 2. Performance would be restricted to SATA 2 levels. Most consumers usually cannot tell the difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 performance.

I usually recommend Samsung solid state drives. They perform very well and have a proven track record. Intel, Crucial, and SanDisk are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the SATA section and look for brands and models you might be interested and follow the links to the technical reviews.

BTW - What operating system are you using? Microsoft Windows 7 was the first operating system to support solid state drives.

mosesr

Honorable
Jun 1, 2015
Thanks Johnny. Yes, even I was thinking about purchasing Samsung. I will look into the link you have provided.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Can you please provide me more information on how to install it? Sorry I don't have a picture of my cabinet, which might help you to get the idea.