Need suggestions for a TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for gaming and streaming.

G

I have had issues lately with my Asus USB-AC68 WiFi adapter. I have already ruled out the problem with my WiFi router by doing a wired speed test directly with the router and a WiFi speed test with my smartphone. This has lead me to conclude that there is a defect with my Asus WiFi adapter. Since I have been having issues with other Asus products, I am looking at ceasing all business with Asus. Currently I am using a TP-Link Talon Model AD7200 WiFi router in my home. The router is located in the room next to mine. I am looking at purchasing a TP-Link USB WiFi adapter. Right now I am considering the Archer T9UH:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Adapter-Archer-T9UH/dp/B01GE9QS0G/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1512845808&sr=1-2&refinements=p_89%3ATP-Link%2Cp_n_intended_use_browse-bin%3A9647497011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A7899513011

I am open to other TP-Link USB WiFi adapter suggestions, but what I need is a USB adapter capable of handling online gaming and streaming music and videos.

Thanks.

Solution

That would mean forgoing throughput from the 4th...

vmfantom

Notable
Nov 28, 2017

Well, the AD7200 Talon is a pretty weird router to start with, since it doesn't interleave 2.4 and 5 GHz together on each radio chain and also has separate 4x4 MIMO modules for each band, plus it's got the microstrip patch antenna for 60 GHz inside. So you could get a wifi adapter with 4x4 MIMO as well, like the PCE-AC88, to make fuller use of the 4 spatial streams, and negotiate higher throughput between the router and adapter.

The problem with the Archer T9UH is that its Phy rate tops out at 1300 Mbps at 256-QAM 5/6 and 80 MHz width (3 streams). The PCE-AC88 can do 1024-QAM for a Phy rate of 2.1 Gbps with 4 streams, which could pair nicely with the 1024-QAM 4 stream AD7200 router you've got. And also, keep in mind that USB 3.0 doesn't have the same data rates as PCI-e.

If you really wanted to max things out, you should find an 802.11ad (WiGig) router with detachable antennas, and a motherboard with onboard 802.11ad ports (like the Asus ROG Zenith Extreme), and then connect them directly with low loss 50 ohm cabling. You'd be getting over 1 Gbps in actual throughput. But then again, if you could do that, you could presumably just use an Ethernet cable, so maybe you want to use MoCA adapters to create an Ethernet bridge over the cable outlets in each room.

G

I do not really have an option to connect to my router directly by Ethernet. I have already tried a TP link Power line adapter solution. Right now that power line solution is only giving me 180Mbps when our router is handling nearly 1 Gbps speed. I am now considering the TP Link Archer T9E as a candidate. Would this adapter be able to handle online gaming, 4K Video, and music streaming transmissions or would you guys recommend something else? I am looking at TP Link because we are using a TP Link router, but I am open to other suggestions for a Wifi Antenna.

Just incase, Here is the link for the ARCHER T9E

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5519_Archer-T9E.html

vmfantom

Notable
Nov 28, 2017

That would mean forgoing throughput from the 4th MIMO stream on your AD7200 since the T9E can do only 3 streams. The Asus PCE-AC88 seems like the only PCI adapter with 4 streams, though others might be lurking around.

What's your current RSSI reading at your PC? Can you use Wifi Analyser to check? That's ultimately going to determine modulation and throughput.

Solution