Question Need suggestions for developer built ,please advice !

May 20, 2019
I am a developer and want to built my new system ,finalises few CPUs i5-9600k, i7-9700, i7-9700k .my budget is tight and I want a CPU which is cheap and best for my needs . I want a system for Android development, full stack development , ML/AI, data analysis . Will i5-9600k be sufficient for my needs (actually it's pricing are most comfortable for me ) or should I need to go for i7-9700 ? And what will you suggest for other peripherals like MB etc ?consider a built worthy for coming 4 to 5 years. Your recommendations/suggestions will be really helpful ,thank you!

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
The choice between an i5 and an i7 might depend on how many VMs you will be running with android emulators simultaneously.
RAM will be important for VMs. More important than CPU usually. 32GB or 64GB depending on the number of VMs. Assume 4GB / VM.

If you are an independent developer, also think about backups and off-site backup implementations. Some of your budget might be well-spent on a NAS for backups.
SATA SSDs are cheaper than NVMe and you probably won't benefit from NVMe performance. Larger SATA SSD over NVMe.

May 20, 2019
The choice between an i5 and an i7 might depend on how many VMs you will be running with android emulators simultaneously.
RAM will be important for VMs. More important than CPU usually. 32GB or 64GB depending on the number of VMs. Assume 4GB / VM.

If you are an independent developer, also think about backups and off-site backup implementations. Some of your budget might be well-spent on a NAS for backups.
SATA SSDs are cheaper than NVMe and you probably won't benefit from NVMe performance. Larger SATA SSD over NVMe.
First thanks for your response ,well I might be using 3 to 4 VMs simultaneously at max , RAM can be increased at a later stage so don't want to spend much into it right now ,just planning to have enough to work comfortably .

For read/write access SSDs will be good but right now I'm still using 7200 rpm drive and will migrate to SSD in future . In multithreading or for Android Studio a multicore processor will be better . During my research I found AMD providing more cores but then it's comparatively weak in single thread performance and the main problem is AMD CPUs don't have virtualization support as intel provide , that's why I'm going for intel .so my question is will i5-9600k be sufficient for me or I should go for 8 core i7-9700 (locked one) , the price of it still undeclared by intel but expecting that Intel will make it close to i7-8700 which is little close to i5 than i7-9700k which has significant price increase ,so should I go for i5-9600k with 8-16GB RAM ?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
First thanks for your response ,well I might be using 3 to 4 VMs simultaneously at max , RAM can be increased at a later stage so don't want to spend much into it right now ,just planning to have enough to work comfortably .

For read/write access SSDs will be good but right now I'm still using 7200 rpm drive and will migrate to SSD in future . In multithreading or for Android Studio a multicore processor will be better . During my research I found AMD providing more cores but then it's comparatively weak in single thread performance and the main problem is AMD CPUs don't have virtualization support as intel provide , that's why I'm going for intel .so my question is will i5-9600k be sufficient for me or I should go for 8 core i7-9700 (locked one) , the price of it still undeclared by intel but expecting that Intel will make it close to i7-8700 which is little close to i5 than i7-9700k which has significant price increase ,so should I go for i5-9600k with 8-16GB RAM ?
You will be disappointed with 16GB RAM and 4 VMs. A CPU can be upgraded, just like RAM. Get the i5 and 32 GB RAM (2 x 16GB). Don't "migrate" to an SSD. Start with at least a 500GB with a new build. You will have to do a new OS install any way, with a new build, so start with a new drive.

first thanks for responding, right now I'm not into it but soon I will see it that's why need a built which remain worthy for coming 4-5 years .
If you do have an interest in AI/CUDA you will find video RAM matters more than with something like gaming. A 1060 with 6GB VRAM will do ok, but 8GB VRAM would be important for NN training. The cost would probably be prohibitive, but based on VRAM (and not due to GPU speed) you might consider something with 11GB or 12GB. On the other hand, if you are not getting in to that line for several years, then video card prices on this current generation will be much cheaper down the road when something newer generation has replaced them.

TRENDING THREADS