[SOLVED] Need suggestions on a portable 4K PC monitor for visually impaired

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I am looking as a Christmas present for my father a portable 4K PC monitor that can help the visually impaired. My father is currently receiving treatment for Parkinson's. With his current treatment, he is deemed fit enough to travel and is planning to resume travel and business in both United Nations and humanitarian related fields. Possibly due to his Parkinson's, his vision is somewhat impaired. I would appreciate suggestions on reasonably priced portable 4K PC monitors, which are light weight, and my father can connect to his laptop, easily carry (since Parkinson's limits the amount of weight he can hold) while he travels, and allows him to see the documents that he creates or types more easily. I am not looking at a super fancy or gaming portable monitor, but something that may help him see what is on the screen more easily. I assume there may be something capable of doing the job in the $100-$300 price range. I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Portable monitors don't go much beyond laptop sized screens. So aside from having a higher resolution, not going to be much change for the visually impaired.

This is probably about the only one: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch-Portable-FreeSync-Compatible/dp/B08RN6W9CZ

Requires a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter for your purposes, or dedicated mini-HDMI to HDMI cable (preferable)

There are a few 17.3" 4K portable panels, but they are well above $300.

As for carting around a desktop monitor, I guess, but you will need access to power and not really have any good way to stand it up. But would certainly be the cheaper way to get size.

Lutfij

Titan
Could you corroborate how much weight he cannot carry...? That way you have a threshold as to what not to cross. As for 4K panels, using PCPartPicker I came up with a shortlist, using the budget as the limiter, here. Apart from the weight of each monitor, I'm also concerned about the sort of connectivity options your father has access to off of said laptop. Make and model of the laptop would help(as would an SKU to said laptop), since carrying adapters isn't something you want to add to the baggage.

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
My father uses an HP Envy x360 laptop. according to the web, it weighs slightly over 5 pounds. It has a 1920x1080 resolution display and a standard HDMI port. According to the web, the laptop has an Nvidia GeForce 930M processor. My father bought this laptop on Black Friday of last year. Even though the built-in display is 1920x1080, I assume it is capable of displaying 4K resolution on a 4K monitor, but you can correct me if I am mistaken. I would prefer the display to use a 4K capable HDMI cable. In terms of the weight of the portable monitor, I am looking at it to be roughly the same weight as his laptop. so anywhere up to 6 pounds is what I would say the weight should be. I have never looked into the portable monitor area before, so I will take the advice of others who are more knowledgeable in this field.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Portable monitors don't go much beyond laptop sized screens. So aside from having a higher resolution, not going to be much change for the visually impaired.

This is probably about the only one: https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch-Portable-FreeSync-Compatible/dp/B08RN6W9CZ

Requires a mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter for your purposes, or dedicated mini-HDMI to HDMI cable (preferable)

There are a few 17.3" 4K portable panels, but they are well above $300.

As for carting around a desktop monitor, I guess, but you will need access to power and not really have any good way to stand it up. But would certainly be the cheaper way to get size.

Solution