[SOLVED] Need Suggestions on a Wi-Fi 5 or Wi-Fi 6 Router and Network

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to replace my gaming PC either by the end of this year or early next year. In addition to replacing my gaming PC, I am looking at the possibility of replacing my current router. Now, I am not an expert on routers or their signal standards, so I hope someone can provide me recommendations on routers in addition to network signal relays or extenders for use in my house. I am open to suggestions for Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6 routers since, to my understanding, these are the two current signal standards on the market. My current router is a TP-Link AD7200 which I have used for 3-4 years . From what I understand, it uses the 802.11ad standard.

In terms of what devices would be connected to the network, in addition to my gaming PC, there will be three other computers, three 4K TVs, two or three Roku players, one or two 4K disc players, two or three tablets, four smartphones, and a game console. If it also helps, my house is bigger than average. No, it is not a mansion or a palace [though that would be nice (lol)], but it has a large square footage measurement. To give a general idea of the layout of my house (going from front to back), the first floor has a living room, entryway and staircase, and a three door garage in the front, the center row of rooms consist of a bathroom, laundry room, kitchen (all three have tile flooring) and a dining room (which has a wood floor), and the back row contains a sunroom, spare bedroom (both with tile flooring), and a large TV room (with wood flooring). The second floor consists of an exercise room and large bedroom with a bathroom (with tile flooring) in the front, a small spare bedroom, a bathroom (with tile flooring), bedroom with a bathroom and large closet (where the router is currently located and the bathroom has tile flooring), and a jacuzzi room (with tile flooring) in the center, and a large bedroom with a bathroom (with tile flooring) next to a staircase in the back. Unless otherwise mentioned, all rooms on the second floor have wood flooring. For the basement, there is an entryway and bedroom in the front, a bathroom and long narrow room in the center, and a spare room in the back. Most of the walls in the house are made from the common plaster board material.

I am not certain what router would best meet my needs, I am not looking for overkill or ultra cheap, but probably a best bang for my buck. I need a router that can handle the demands of the mentioned devices for PC gaming , streaming (both 1080p and 4K), as well as web browsing and can communicate with range extenders or relays for say the next 3-5 years.

On the subject of range extenders or relays, would I be better off putting more powerful single extenders in the center points of the floors of my house, or would I be better off putting two smaller extenders on each floor ( such as one in the front and one in the back) to get better Wi-Fi coverage in the house?

Is my current router sufficient? If yes, what extenders or relays would you recommend that would be compatible with it?

Thanks.

Reactions: Benjamin22044
Solution
To get good coverage you want to run ethernet and then run AP in the remote room. You want to avoid any form of repeater/extender it will degrade you wifi network.

As I suspect you know you wasted your money on 802.11ad support. Almost no end device support it and it barely works in the same room. You might as well use a ethernet cable if you are going to sit that close.

Wifi6 is almost the same. Most end devices do not support it, most repeater/extenders have issues with 160mhz channels. So unless you have end device that support it you will not be able to take advantage of it. It also is not a "future proofing" thing since unless you are going to use it in the next 6-9 months it will be outdated when wifi6e comes out...

kanewolf

Titan
I plan to replace my gaming PC either by the end of this year or early next year. In addition to replacing my gaming PC, I am looking at the possibility of replacing my current router. Now, I am not an expert on routers or their signal standards, so I hope someone can provide me recommendations on routers in addition to network signal relays or extenders for use in my house. I am open to suggestions for Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6 routers since, to my understanding, these are the two current signal standards on the market. My current router is a TP-Link AD7200 which I have used for 3-4 years . From what I understand, it uses the 802.11ad standard.

In terms of what devices would be connected to the network, in addition to my gaming PC, there will be three other computers, three 4K TVs, two or three Roku players, one or two 4K disc players, two or three tablets, four smartphones, and a game console. If it also helps, my house is bigger than average. No, it is not a mansion or a palace [though that would be nice (lol)], but it has a large square footage measurement. To give a general idea of the layout of my house (going from front to back), the first floor has a living room, entryway and staircase, and a three door garage in the front, the center row of rooms consist of a bathroom, laundry room, kitchen (all three have tile flooring) and a dining room (which has a wood floor), and the back row contains a sunroom, spare bedroom (both with tile flooring), and a large TV room (with wood flooring). The second floor consists of an exercise room and large bedroom with a bathroom (with tile flooring) in the front, a small spare bedroom, a bathroom (with tile flooring), bedroom with a bathroom and large closet (where the router is currently located and the bathroom has tile flooring), and a jacuzzi room (with tile flooring) in the center, and a large bedroom with a bathroom (with tile flooring) next to a staircase in the back. Unless otherwise mentioned, all rooms on the second floor have wood flooring. For the basement, there is an entryway and bedroom in the front, a bathroom and long narrow room in the center, and a spare room in the back. Most of the walls in the house are made from the common plaster board material.

I am not certain what router would best meet my needs, I am not looking for overkill or ultra cheap, but probably a best bang for my buck. I need a router that can handle the demands of the mentioned devices for PC gaming , streaming (both 1080p and 4K), as well as web browsing and can communicate with range extenders or relays for say the next 3-5 years.

On the subject of range extenders or relays, would I be better off putting more powerful single extenders in the center points of the floors of my house, or would I be better off putting two smaller extenders on each floor ( such as one in the front and one in the back) to get better Wi-Fi coverage in the house?

Is my current router sufficient? If yes, what extenders or relays would you recommend that would be compatible with it?

Thanks.
My recommendation is to put money into getting network cabling professionally installed. Getting as many of those TVs, PCs, Rokus, etc onto WIRED connectivity is what will improve your network most.

Reactions: Benjamin22044

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
If you are planning to get a router, Wi-Fi 6 routers are a better option because they provide added features and recently I discovered that Wi-Fi 6 routers can be voice controlled too. I was researching on this and found this D-Link Wi-Fi 6 routers that appeared good enough for the home and official uses. Powered by a MediaTek SoC, this routers could be controlled through Amazon Alexa and through D-Link app as well. I think Wi-Fi 6 routers is a better option if you really need a wired connection.

To get good coverage you want to run ethernet and then run AP in the remote room. You want to avoid any form of repeater/extender it will degrade you wifi network.

As I suspect you know you wasted your money on 802.11ad support. Almost no end device support it and it barely works in the same room. You might as well use a ethernet cable if you are going to sit that close.

Wifi6 is almost the same. Most end devices do not support it, most repeater/extenders have issues with 160mhz channels. So unless you have end device that support it you will not be able to take advantage of it. It also is not a "future proofing" thing since unless you are going to use it in the next 6-9 months it will be outdated when wifi6e comes out with the support of the 6g radio band.

Solution