Need suggestions on new video card

Redhornet07

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I'm interested in getting a better video card for my system, there's a catch though. I need an AGP (AGP8x) card, so I'm looking for the best one I can get my hands on.

Current video card is an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9000 Pro. I have a Dell Dimension 4600, Pentium 4 2.6Ghz, 2.5gig RAM, Windows XP SP3, 60 gig HDD and on board sound card.

I don't have the option of getting a new machine, upgrading the mother board or anything like that. The only thing I can upgrade at this point is the video card. The new card doesn't have to be an ATI, I'm just interested in the best AGP card I can get, manufacturer isn't a factor for me.

Also, on another forum someone suggested my power supply may not be adequate? Why wouldn't my power supply be adequate? Does it have to do with the stuff on the video card (fan for example)? How would I find out if a new card would be compatible with my powersupply?

So, any and all suggestions about getting the best APG card out there are welcome! Thanks!

AGP cards are rare, outdated/weak, and pricey...

I suggest saving up for a new computer.

I think there might be better options for the even weaker PCI, which at least goes into the 8x00 Nvidia series.

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
The system you currently have will limit ANY AGP card you can afford, don't waste your money...Yes, the higher power video cards demand more amperage to run correctly, not just to spin the fan... Look for the $200+ you'd have to spend on an out of date AGP card, you could get a reasonable 775 mother board for $50+, an Intel Duo Core CPU for $75+, 2Gigs of DDR2/800mHz memory for $30+, and a Nvidia 36X-46X video card for another $50+...Total around $205...You probably need a 24 pin/ATX power supply, another $60+...So for maybe $60 more than you may spend for that AGP card, you'd have a whole new computer, really ready to run MOST of the games you may want to run...

Redhornet07

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't realize those components could be that cheap. Guess I'll save up for a new system. Great advice, thanks!