Need suggestions on what graphic card to buy

Haraiso

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Hi everyone!
So lately, my computer has been experiencing some problems and I've deduced that the root of the problem is my graphics card.

I currently have an nVidia GeForce FX 5200, but apparently I'm not even supposed to use this card because it's not Windows XP approved? (Ran into this message when I tried reinstalling it)

So now I'm on the hunt for a new graphics card! The only problem is that this is my first time doing so. So I'd like some help, please!

I'm not exactly sure what information to provide but here is My Computer summary:

Windows XP - Home Edition
Service Pack 3
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz
1.25GB of RAM

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Haraiso

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Well with the nVidia driver installed, my monitor would often go black and get a "No Signal" error. When this happens, I can't really do anything other than restart.
After I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled the driver (currently running on my system's generic video driver since I have nothing else), my computer stopped encountering these problems (although now its rather laggy and the graphics aren't exactly the best anymore) so I'm pretty sure the nVidia driver is the thing that's causing me problems.

Not sure if this is the information you wanted but I got it from running the DxDiagnostic:

System Manufacturer: IBM
System Model: 8187D1U
BIOS: Phoenix FirstBios(tm) Desktop Pro Version 2.0 for IBM ThinkCentre.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1278MB RAM

I was going through the Dell website and it led me to find the "ATI Radeon HD 4350 PCIE 512MB DDR2 Video Card".
Would this graphics card be a good buy? I was considering it since it is only $50 and my computer seems to fulfill all the minimum system requirements, I think.

Assuming you want a new card, and assuming you have an AGP slot, there's $100 for the HD4670. However, that's a bit much..

The old radeon x700 is what I'm still using, and it runs L4D smoothly at lowest settings (Non-PRO version). There's also some like the 1950XT, x850, etc.