Need The Best sound Card for FPS Games

manocool

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello guys, so far I used asus xonar Dx and m' having siberia v2 headset ..

m' not much satisfied with that sound card I cannot clearly experience where the enemy is coming from ..

I need very exact sound experience with my siberia v2 is there any such sound card ??

PS: only suggest if you know 100% with knowledge coz I dont wanna waste my money simply :(

Solution

You are wrong.

You have two ways of simulate directional sound in a stereo headphones, by software or by hardware.

Your A40s use exactly the same tech that any soundcard, use software algorithms to simulate positional sound on only two speakers (delays, fades, etc...) the only diference is that you are using a headphone with his own souncard like many others, ej: Razer Megalodon, it's called "Virtual Sourround" and a lot of sound cards use similar tech like Dolby Headphones to simulate up tu 7.1 on stereo headphones.

By hardware you have...
You're... a little confused.

A better sound card is going to do absolutely NOTHING in terms of directional sound, because the xonar DX already supports both dolby and physical surround.

If you want better directional sound, you need a better headset designed for exactly that - something like the A40s that I'm using.

EDIT: And the fact that your sound card supports surround doesn't matter - I just checked... the Steelseries Siberia v2 doesn't have surround. Which means you aren't going to clearly experience where the enemy is coming from, you're just going to hear the footsteps.

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Sinceresly, i doubt you could get a "very exact sound experience" with any stereo headphones. Good one maybe but with headphones as any person is used to make minimal head adjustment to track the sound source you will have a limited experience.

Maybe download and give a try with Razer Sound?

juanrdp

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

You are wrong.

You have two ways of simulate directional sound in a stereo headphones, by software or by hardware.

Your A40s use exactly the same tech that any soundcard, use software algorithms to simulate positional sound on only two speakers (delays, fades, etc...) the only diference is that you are using a headphone with his own souncard like many others, ej: Razer Megalodon, it's called "Virtual Sourround" and a lot of sound cards use similar tech like Dolby Headphones to simulate up tu 7.1 on stereo headphones.

By hardware you have several drivers in the headphones (up to 10 in some cases like the Tiamat) to make "real" sourround, with his own soundcard like the example some of Razer or with any soundcard like for example Roccat Knave 5.1.

Then you have several cases that the soundcard affect the result, with stereo headphones (not ones with his own soundcard like yours) and virtual sourround need a card that makes a good software processing to simulate the sourround, with "real" sourround headphones like Knave only need a good soundcard that give good sound quality on 5.1 outputs.

The Steelseries Siberia v2 dont have internal soundcard, of couse they didnt "support" surround because they are only a headset, you are mixing two very diferent things.

That's why he needs a good soundcard that create a good virtual sourround for stereo headphones.

Solution
Aug 25, 2020
I know this thread is old but I haven't been able to find any article about sound cards and headphones related to directional sound. Most people speak about sound quality rather than directional.

I use a Steelseries arctic pro headset and I am wondering if it would be worth buying a sound card to improve the directional sound in FPS games. I have a really hard time figuring out people on the X or Y axis. I never know if they are behind, in front, below or above.

Anyone could help?

TRENDING THREADS