[SOLVED] Need Thunderbolt 3 pcie card with 20pin USB header

rygar

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi - I was hoping someone out there has found something like this and can help me out.

I have the Asus Rog Swift z490 F-Gaming and I want to add in an internal Thunderbolt 3 card to a PCI-E Slot.

The front panel connector for USB 3.0 slots got accidentally pulled out of the header on teh Mobo and took a pin off the mobo with it.

I currently have a PCIE x1 card that gives me 4 x USB 3.0 slots and 1 USB-C slot on teh back panel, and a 20 pin header on teh card which I connected the front panel connector to so now my front panel works.

Id like to combine this functionality on one PCI-e card, though i am doubting it will work.

Anyone ever see something like this?

Hello, I recently upgraded from a z290 board with an i7-7700k to a new Asus Rog Swift F-Gaming z490 board with an i7-10700k.

I have 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 EvoPlus M.2 PCIe NVMe ssds installed in the 2 onboard M.2 slots.

I also have a 2 TB 970 Evo Plus installed in the 3rd PCIex16 slotusing a x4 card as a PCI-E m.2 nvme ssd.

I also have a USB 3.0 Hub installed in 1 PCI-E x1 slot.

Do I have any additional Lanes to utilize to add another PCIe nvme card?

I do have a Thunderbolt 3 header, and I was thinking of getting a TB3 PCIe x 4 card and adding in external PCIe M.2 NVMe ssds.
If I do that, how many PCIe m.2 cards can I add?

I plan to upgrade to a 3080 or 3090, so I don't want to lower than x16 on my PCIe #1 slot.

Currently with the 1 x PCIe x4 card in teh 3rd PCIe x 16 slot, my GPU still stays at x16. If I put it in slot two, my GPU goes to x8.

Sorry, im just confused with this new chipset.

Thanks for the help!!

Solution
I want to add in an internal Thunderbolt 3 card to a PCI-E Slot.

Id like to combine this functionality on one PCI-e card, though i am doubting it will work.

Because of the bandwidth potential of TB3 (PCIe 3.0 4x IIRC) and the requirement to be able to transmit display out by spec in TB, I don't think you can do too much else a TB card.

Theoretically you could have an 8x card, 4 for TB requirements and various remaining lanes for USB3 headers etc, but that's going to be a very niche product that I don't believe exits, unfortunately.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I want to add in an internal Thunderbolt 3 card to a PCI-E Slot.

Because of the bandwidth potential of TB3 (PCIe 3.0 4x IIRC) and the requirement to be able to transmit display out by spec in TB, I don't think you can do too much else a TB card.

Theoretically you could have an 8x card, 4 for TB requirements and various remaining lanes for USB3 headers etc, but that's going to be a very niche product that I don't believe exits, unfortunately.

Solution

rygar

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah I am thinking you are correct since the TB3 is going to use 4 lanes, and the USB might take 1?

Ive seen some with TB3 and USB 3.0 ports on teh same internal card, just not one with TB3 ports on the back AND an INTERNAL 20pin for connecting a front panel, when youre an idiot like me and f up your new Mobo lol.

Oh well, id rather have TB3 and be able to add additional PCIe nvme m.2 drives than have 2 working USB 3.0 slots on my front panel.

Thanks for the insight amigo! :)