Need tips for my new wc build PLEASE.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

norton50

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hey, I'm building a new computer and was just looking to see if anyone had any tips or pointers for me! Thanks.

Here is my system:
Corsair obsidian 800D Case
EVGA GEforce gtx 570 HD
G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB DDR3 2133 CAS 9
4 x 12" white cold cathode
11 x Xigmantec 120mm case fan
2 x Corsair force GT 60GB SSD in RAID 0
Asus p8z68 deluxe lga 1155 atx mobo
Intel i7-2600k CPU
Hitachi 1.5TB HDD
2x sunbeam 6 channel 30w/chan. Fan controller
Arctic silver 5
Cooler Master SPG 1000W modular PSU

WC components:

Switch apogee xt CPU block
Xspc rx480 rad
10ft white 1/2 ; 3/4 tubing
10ft black tubing
18 x mini hose clamps
12 x bits power g 1/4" fittings 1/2"
Silver coil
2 x enzotech 45° fitting 1/2"
Heatkiller GPU-x^3 gtx 570-580 GPU block
Xspc rx360
Swiftech mcp655-b pump
Bits power 5.25" black acetal bay res

Configuration:
Pump>RES>480>CPU>360>GPU>pump

Total cost: 2,676.00
Budget 2,700

Thank you! :hello:

Solution
Why BIX rads? If you have a specific reason, that's fine, but just curious since people usually don't get those unless they are for a specific reason.

You are right on for the amount of rads you'll need...might consider more if you plan to overclock moderately or aggressively.

I'd also go with a larger Rad than a single 120mm, look for at least a triple 120mm instead
He has a 360 and a 120 on the list...?

Also pick up 2 "Y" splitters.
No, absolutely not. Only run in serial...no parallel splits.
I use my local hardware guy for screws/bolts etc, buying them from pc sites is prohibitively expensive, one m8 screw, couple of pence, one m8 computer screw £1
fan controllers always useful for tweaking so I'd say go ahead, if you choose to quiet them down you can, or fullblast for cooling during gaming sesh's
one pre-requisite fror watercooling in my opinion is a degree of modding nous, you see that you need a bracket, then look at things in your house/shed/workplace, oh look, thats my new bracket for xxx :p
Moto

Yeah, black M8's are nice on a modded build, I'll take a link for those if you dont mind? :p
my fan controller was £26 I think,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220739142835&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123
But then I modded it into a build
it depends on how many channels you want (how many fan running off it) and if you want a name, other things like lcd screens make nice touches too but cost
its down to what you want from the controller tbh, function or shinies :p
Moto

F/C looks fine, maybe google 'xxname reviews' before you buy though
opaque tubing is a better option than using dyes,
bleeding will be impossible to visually identify, but if you persevere you should get most bubbles out in a day or two, watch for knocking noises/pump sounding like hell and your water level, top up as required,
sleep now (nightworker) I'll look in later though man, have a good day :)
Moto

orangejuice789

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Sorry, just caught this thread today.

@OP- 8 fan cables sleeved together? how are you getting them together like this?

I would recommend individual sleeving, it is more work but worth it if you ever need to move a fan and they can be hidden a bit better.

I bought some really cheap sleeving when i did mine, i would recommend getting something that is better quality.. MDPC-X is great from what i have read.

You can buy some sleeving tools that will work to get the pins out of the fan connectors, but a tiny flat-head screwdriver works just as well.