Question Need to add a USB 3.0 header. But can't find what I need.

Jan 22, 2021
Ok so my problem is that I need add a USB 3.0 header but I have some restrictions that are making this difficult.

I cant use a normal PCIe card as I have my GPU vertically mounted and there just is not enough room to get any PCIe card I have found in there. I tried using a PCIe extension cable but 20cm is the longest PCIe X4 cable I could find and there just not flexible or long enough to get them to reach the only place I have free to put the card.

I have no 3.1 header, and I want the full speed of the 3.0 USB.

I also have no open M.2 slots.

I have been trying to figure this out for 4 days now with no luck.

The only options I can find that will work limit the speed of the USB to 500mbs total or less so that means 250mbs per USB port as this is a dual USB setup that I am trying to use.

What do you guys suggest, I am at my wits end here .
Thanks!

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
you have ruled out pretty much anything that will go inside the case already.

so your only option is a usb hub. hopefully you have a 3.0/3.1 port you can use and then plug in a hub to make more ports. make sure it is a quality unit and plugs into the wall for full power delivery.

there is nothing that will go inside that will overcome what's already there since a pcie card is your only choice if you don't have the header.

your other option i guess would be to find a motherboard that has all the stuff you need on it and swap it out.

Jan 22, 2021
you have ruled out pretty much anything that will go inside the case already.

so your only option is a usb hub. hopefully you have a 3.0/3.1 port you can use and then plug in a hub to make more ports. make sure it is a quality unit and plugs into the wall for full power delivery.

there is nothing that will go inside that will overcome what's already there since a pcie card is your only choice if you don't have the header.

your other option i guess would be to find a motherboard that has all the stuff you need on it and swap it out.
Well crap. :(
Swapping the MB is not an option. I really want the other things this one has, and there is nothing out there with 2 USB 3.0 headers that will work. I know I looked when I first ran in to this problem.

What would you be using this for?
I have portable hard drives that I use for work that I often have to transfer large files to. And between them.
At times I am dealing with up to 6 hard drives.
And I am doing this on USB 2.0s now and just takes to much time.
I really want all 4 USB 3.0s on the front of this thing working as I dont want want to have to get down on the floor under my desk and plug in to the back of the machine, and I dont really want a hub and that was one of the main reasons why I bought this case.

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
sorry but it looks like a hub is about all you can do. either that or some type of file server/nas to store files on if they don't have to stay portable.

if you are not constantly transferring from every drive at all times a hub would be fine. a data dump to one drive and then another a bit later would not slow things down that much. a 3.0 hub would still be faster than a 2.0 slot any day for sure. don't cheap out though. you don't have to spend $200 on it but a $10 one will probably not work as well as you need and would like to have.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS