Question Need to add my wifes computer to my ethernet connection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2022
My wife just moved her computer into my room near mine. She is NOW hooked up wirelessly by a NetGear USB stick that is a wireless-N- dual band st5ick. But NOW that she is in the same room as the Verizon router (that ONLY has ONE ethernet PORT I need to break and add her to ethernet connectivity THROUGH a splitter.This way we can both be hard-wired into the router. I am a novice at this so please be specific and clear- and read what I found on Amazon below-- I thought it was going to be simple-- I would also rather go to my local Best Buy and get these items-(and NOT too expensive)- if you look on Amazon at what I saw- they are or at least should be maybe under $10.00? and then for the ethernet cable, we are talking about maybe a $20.00 sale. Please advise.

I am looking at amazon online for ethernet splitters. Again too much information and decisions--- I am going to paste some of the descriptions- because as simple as it sounds -some say that some do not support BOTH computers connecting at the SAME time HUH?? read on please- and maybe you can recommend the simplest and least expansive one that will allow me and my wife to be on the web at the same time. Thanks

1)Can you connect the male to the internet modem and the other two females to two routers?
Answer: Can be connected, NOTE: This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line ONE AT A TIME, but it doesn't support both computers to connect onto the internet simultaneously
2)RJ45 Splitter Connectors Adapter 1 to 2 Ethernet Splitter Coupler Double Socket HUB Interface Contact Modular Plug Connect Network LAN Internet Cat5 Cat6 Cable 2 Pack (CAN'T RUN BOTH AT THE SAME TIME)?? ( see what I mean?)
3)GELRHONR RJ45 Splitter Adapter,RJ45 Ethernet Splitter 1 to 2 Network Adapter(2 Devices Surf Internet Simultaneously) Works for Cat5e/Cat6/Cat8 Connector LAN Internet-1Pair
RJ45 1 to 2 Extender:RJ45 Splitters is mainly used to solve the connection problem caused by insufficient wiring. Support 2 devices work at the same time, but the splitter should be used in pairs. If you use just only 1 splitter, only one port works and the other port DOES NOT work.??? (what does this mean)
4)SinLoon this a pair RJ45 Splitter Adapter mainly used to solve connection problems caused by insufficient wiring. through the physical separation method,one-divided-two for cable is achieved and two devices online can be realized simultaneously. this product differs from tee, which cannot realize simultaneously online for both devices.-- Hi Mr. C this seems to be the ONLY one that says BOTH will work simultaneously??

Please let me know what you know about this-- this should have been an easy piece to buy??

And lastly, if you would recommend the best type of about a 6 to 10-foot ethernet cable (I guess High-Speed heavy duty might be the best.I anxiously await your reply.

This is what I was hoping to BUY at Amazon or Best BUY to split my connection with my wifes computer and get RID of the NetGear Wireless-N-Dual Band stick??
(A-Pair) RJ45 Splitter Adapter,SinLoon Ethernet Cable Splitter Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Cat7,RJ45 Network Extension Connector Ethernet Cable Sharing Kit for Router TV Box Camera PC Lapop (Black)-- for $8.98

This device you linked will turn 4 pairs of wires into two 2-pair ethernet wires. Essentially you'll get 100mbps on both connections, instead of gigabit. This is fine for video cameras and stuff, but as others have mentioned, you're far better off with an ethernet switch instead. A switch will split your 1 cable into 4 more possible cables, but allow full gigabit speed.

This is the cheapest ethernet switch on amazon at $9.99. It's only $1 more than the device you linked: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCDZ5NBS You simply plug all your devices into this. Plug your router, and both computers into it. It doesn't matter which ports you use.

Oct 30, 2022
hey again-- No I was told by a Microsoft tech from the Microsoft community that is for wireless? As mentioned My Netgear USB stick is as follows-- it is just a wireless-N-Dual band stick that plugs into a female end of a USB port and the OTHER end is an ETHERNET end that plugs INTO my wife's computer in the ethernet port on the back of the tower. So What I will be doing with the splitter is just that- The ethernet cable will go and replace that Netgear cable and the other end will go into the splitter and the other cable will be MY computer going into the splitter and then the cable from the splitter will go into the router. So there you have it-- I will wait for your reply- because right now that splitter has not been purchased but is in my amazon cart with the extra 2 ethernet cables. Please make sure that this is all I need before I order it.
I believe if you look at my picture showing the BACK of the Verizon router- the blue ethernet cable is in the LAN port- and that is where the splitters cable will end up and the cable that is there now will be plugged into one of the ports on the new splitter. Is this correct? Please advise.

Oct 30, 2022
As mentioned I have a NetGear Wireless -N-dual band USB stick that is plugged into the female end of a cable that has the other end plugged into the ethernet port on the back of my wife's computer(that end of the cable is an ethernet type of end) This is what connects my wife to the router and give her the peed she is getting. We bought this when her computer was in a different room to pick up a better signal. But now that her computer is literally 2 feet from mine- I thought we should hook it up directly to the router like mine is- so that we can both be hard-wired into the router. That is where you have recommended buying the splitter. The splitter end of the cable will hook into the router on the back and that will replace the ethernet cable that is there now from my computer. So I will unplug my ethernet cable from the router and plug it into one port of the splitter. Then the other ethernet cable I will purchase will go from the splitter INTO the back of my wife's tower(where the NetGear cable is right now)- that should complete the hard-wired connection for US BOTH- Am I correct?
The ethernet cable from the router to MY computer tower is plugged into the LAN port of the router( a Microsoft tech from the Microsoft community said that WAN stands for wireless.
Lastly, I am going to attach some pictures below- showing something weird. I opened the dialog box of the NetGear Genie stick and on the bottom, it says connected to Montek(my server name) at 130 MBS-- but yet when I click on home-- it shows that it goes from the Genie to the router, and NO INTERNET? How can that be if I am surfing the web?? at like 0 MBS from speedtest.net? I am confused- please look this over and let me know if it connected correctly- and IF buying the splitter and doing it the way I described above will correct that if there is anything to correct? View: https://imgur.com/a/EUGf5mh

Thes pics show the connection with the Netgear Genie device Stick-- now as mentioned I am surfing the web and it says I am connected on the bottom of picture ONE to my name (server name)- then how come it has an X going to the internet? Please advise.

The model number is listed on the top left, it's WNDA3100V2 : https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNDA3100v2.aspx

That's just a wireless adapter, you can ditch that after you buy the network switch. Again, just buy the switch I linked for $10, that's what you need to turn 1 ethernet cord into up to 4 more ethernet cables. (you'll obviously need an ethernet cable for each computer). Don't buy that "splitter" you mentioned.

Just buy this here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BCDZ5NBS

Oct 30, 2022
That's just a wireless adapter, you can ditch that after you buy the network switch. Again, just buy the switch I linked for $10, that's what you need to turn 1 ethernet cord into up to 4 more ethernet cables. (you'll obviously need an ethernet cable for each computer). Don't buy that "splitter" you mentioned.

Hey and thank you-- But just to answer MY question- am I connected to the Internet since I am surfing at 80 MBS from speedtest.net EVEN though the diagram has an X from the router to the internet on the NetGear dialog box?
And if I may someone else recommended a different ethernet splitter- which I will attach a picture of- please let me know which you think is BETTER and will work just fine(plug and play)- and does the ethernet cable insert into the other end opposite the multi-port side?
View: https://imgur.com/a/VJLjfhK

Oct 30, 2022
hey and thanks- but someone else recommended a different brand- can you tell me if this one is equivalent ? It is less expensive? LOL I will link it below
View: https://imgur.com/a/fkawxt7

Oct 30, 2022
Question:

In Posts #10 and #11, I do not see an incoming Ethernet Cable to the Router's WAN port.

I would expect (line diagram with -----> representing an Ethernet cable):

ISP === Verizon DSL(?) ===> Modem ----->[WAN Port] Verizon Router [LAN ports] -----> Wired PCs.

Where is the switch to be placed?

As I understand the plan:

ISP === Verizon DSL(?) ===> Modem ----->[WAN Port] Verizon Router [LAN port] ----->[LAN port] Switch [LAN Ports] ---- > Wired PCs.

Likely I am missing something but no harm in asking.
As mentioned I have a NetGear Wireless -N-dual band USB stick that is plugged into the female end of a cable that has the other end plugged into the ethernet port on the back of my wife's computer(that end of the cable is an ethernet type of end) This is what connects my wife to the router and give her the peed she is getting. We bought this when her computer was in a different room to pick up a better signal. But now that her computer is literally 2 feet from mine- I thought we should hook it up directly to the router like mine is- so that we can both be hard-wired into the router. That is where you have recommended buying the splitter. The splitter end of the cable will hook into the router on the back and that will replace the ethernet cable that is there now from my computer. So I will unplug my ethernet cable from the router and plug it into one port of the splitter. Then the other ethernet cable I will purchase will go from the splitter INTO the back of my wife's tower(where the NetGear cable is right now)- that should complete the hard-wired connection for US BOTH- Am I correct?
The ethernet cable from the router to MY computer tower is plugged into the LAN port of the router( a Microsoft tech from the Microsoft community said that WAN stands for wireless.
Lastly, I am going to attach some pictures below- showing something weird. I opened the dialog box of the NetGear Genie stick and on the bottom, it says connected to Montek(my server name) at 130 MBS-- but yet when I click on home-- it shows that it goes from the Genie to the router, and NO INTERNET? How can that be if I am surfing the web?? at like 0 MBS from speedtest.net? I am confused- please look this over and let me know if it connected correctly- and IF buying the splitter and doing it the way I described above will correct that if there is anything to correct?

Oct 30, 2022
Hello sir-- I have this in my amazon cart- BUT someone from this site recommended a different brand- can you please please tell me if they are equivalent and plug in the same way and all that - because the other one is a little less expensive LOL-
View: https://imgur.com/a/GW1PAiL

Ralston18

Titan
"The ethernet cable from the router to MY computer tower is plugged into the LAN port of the router( a Microsoft tech from the Microsoft community said that WAN stands for wireless. " Note: My underline.

No.

FYI:

WAN Port

Your Verizon router has 1 WAN Port and 4 LAN ports.

So 4 wired network devices can be plugged into the router. If you have more than 4 wired network devices then you will need the switch.

Wireless Routers also support ~~~~ wireless ~~~~> to wireless devices via two frequencies and multiple channels usually configurable within the router.

If a switch is needed then indeed refer to the switch list provided by @USAFRet.

Connectivity.

One the four cables shown in the Router image (Post #10) should be coming from the Modem. That cable should be connected to the Router's WAN port.

The 4 LAN ports should be used for your computer, your wife's computer, and two other wired network devices.

If there are more than two other wired network devices then one of the router's LAN ports will have to be used for the switch which, in turn, will permit you to connect in four other wired devices.

Like this:

ISP === Verizon DSL(?) ===> Modem ----->[WAN Port] Verizon Router [LAN ports]:

---->[LAN port 1] -----> Your Computer's wired network adapter
---->[LAN port 2] -----> Your wife's Computer' wired network adapter
---->[LAN port 3] -----> Other wired network device: printer, NAS, etc.
---->[LAN port 4] ----->[Switch LAN Port 1]

Then from the remaining four Switch [LAN Ports 2,3,4,5] ----> Other wired network devices if needed.

Feel free to edit and correct my line above as necessary to show how you wish everything to be connected.

If there are wireless network devices use ~~~~ > to indicate a desired/required wireless connection to that device.

You must also be sure that any network devices are connected only one way: either wired or wireless as required. Not both wired and wireless at the same time.

A diagram or sketch of your network will prove very helpful for now and for the future.

Hello sir-- I have this in my amazon cart- BUT someone from this site recommended a different brand- can you please please tell me if they are equivalent and plug in the same way and all that - because the other one is a little less expensive LOL-
View: https://imgur.com/a/GW1PAiL

The other brands the other poster listed are certainly better because they're well known and reputable brands. But they are 50% more expensive and I saw that you were on a budget. The switch I linked is the cheapest, but it has no name similar to the splitter you linked. It will likely work fine, but with no name it's a toss up in terms of reliability.

Functionally, the switch I linked and the other poster linked are identical, plug and play.

if you didn't want to go to all that trouble with cables and switches etc, you could always go with a powerline option.

Plug 1st unit in besdie your router, then place the second unit anywhere you like where there is a wall socket. Then you can connnect by lan.

Very simple. Some newer units also have wifi extender which is usefull.

Oct 30, 2022
"The ethernet cable from the router to MY computer tower is plugged into the LAN port of the router( a Microsoft tech from the Microsoft community said that WAN stands for wireless. " Note: My underline.

No.

FYI:

WAN Port

Your Verizon router has 1 WAN Port and 4 LAN ports.

So 4 wired network devices can be plugged into the router. If you have more than 4 wired network devices then you will need the switch.

Wireless Routers also support ~~~~ wireless ~~~~> to wireless devices via two frequencies and multiple channels usually configurable within the router.

If a switch is needed then indeed refer to the switch list provided by @USAFRet.

Connectivity.

One the four cables shown in the Router image (Post #10) should be coming from the Modem. That cable should be connected to the Router's WAN port.

The 4 LAN ports should be used for your computer, your wife's computer, and two other wired network devices.

If there are more than two other wired network devices then one of the router's LAN ports will have to be used for the switch which, in turn, will permit you to connect in four other wired devices.

Like this:

ISP === Verizon DSL(?) ===> Modem ----->[WAN Port] Verizon Router [LAN ports]:

---->[LAN port 1] -----> Your Computer's wired network adapter
---->[LAN port 2] -----> Your wife's Computer' wired network adapter
---->[LAN port 3] -----> Other wired network device: printer, NAS, etc.
---->[LAN port 4] ----->[Switch LAN Port 1]

Then from the remaining four Switch [LAN Ports 2,3,4,5] ----> Other wired network devices if needed.

Feel free to edit and correct my line above as necessary to show how you wish everything to be connected.

If there are wireless network devices use ~~~~ > to indicate a desired/required wireless connection to that device.

You must also be sure that any network devices are connected only one way: either wired or wireless as required. Not both wired and wireless at the same time.

A diagram or sketch of your network will prove very helpful for now and for the future.
Holy mackerel--- I AM connected BOTH ways-- Yes My router is a multi-port-- all 4 ports are Lan/ethernet-- 10/100/1G ethernet... Who knew-- BUT I have a problem. I went onto the control panel and checked my network status etc, I seem to have 2 connections(One VEYRY old one from the very beginning days of Verizon)and the ONE updated one-- The DNS server numbers are exactly the same BUT the IPv4 address is slightly different( I will send pictures for you) I also checked Network status on the control panel and it says I am connected to the internet through a local area connection and a WI-FI connection? YET as stated what started this whole thing off was that when MY NetGear Genie-WIRELESS-N-Dual band USB stick was NOT connected or ON- I had a horrible connection.
The user names are also different as you can see by my pics. View: https://imgur.com/a/hU873hi

And there is one cable (#1) on the back of the Verizon router that goes from there into the back of MY Wife's computer (into her ethernet port). Yet I do not think I am getting a signal from it. I called Verizon and they told me to try another ethernet cable. Or to unplug that cable from MY wife's computer and put it into MY computer and see if I am connected well to the internet? he said IF I do that and I am connected well- then the problem is WITH HER computer.
If I do not connect then it might be the cable. (I have not tried that yet- since I do not want to upset the apple cart so to speak.
Is he correct?
Is there a way I can UNPLUG that USB Netgear adapter and try to make her hard-wired connection primary?- But again- like I said when the Netgear was not connected I had a horrible connection. So what setting does this have to be on to make the hard-wired connection primary and NOT fight against the Wi-FI connection?
I hope I am making sense. I will send many pics for you guys to peruse and help me with my problem.
My last comment is this-- If there is something wrong with the computer-- Like I mentioned I am connected with the help of the NET Gear USB adapter-- I did a speed test from speed test.net on MY ethernet computer and HER wireless connection here is the results---My download speed is 83.13 and hers is 82.69. My upload speed is 91.00 and hers is 72.06.
My Ping is 10 (with a download ping of 77 and an upload ping of 20. her PIng is also 10 (with a download ping of 82 and upload ping of 20.
With all this being known- should I just leave well enough alone and not fix what is working pretty well? I hate to attempt something and screw it up As I said here is the breakdown of the pics-- 1- cables in the back of the router
2-HER PC network status- BOTH
3-HER PC- Both WiFi and Local area connection???
4-Her PC- WiFi status
5-Her PC- Connected to Internet??
6-Her PC- Wireless broadband router(?-Wireless?)
7-Her PC- Network properties WiFi
8-Her PC- showing server as Netgear wireless
9-Her Pc- showing Old user name and New user names??????? Like i said DNS address and server as mentioned above- the server is same but adress slightly different.
10-Her PC- Realtek router NOT WIFI
11- MY PC- Ethernet connection- thru Realtek (Verizon router)
12- My PC- status
10-Her PC-
View: https://imgur.com/a/hU873hi

Last edited:
Everything looks fine, just unplug the netgear usb adapter. There's no need for it.

Cable labeled 4 does not appear to be connected to anything, or the device it's plugged into is not turned on. You can unplug cable 4.

Cable's 1 through 3 are all showing as connected at full gigabit speed.

Oct 30, 2022
Correct sir-- ut as stated - somehow the Netgear USB adapter got disconnected either from a power outage or whatever- and all during this time my wife's computer ran horribly- internet and everything else. Ever since I opened the control panel and the icon for NetGear in the hidden icon taskbar- and did a join network search and then connected- that is when her speed increased drastically along with other NON-internet functions. That is why I am not sure disconnecting this will make her ONLY hard-wired and run well. How come that did NOT happen before- was it because the USB adapter was plugged in?? Please advise.
Could I just leave it the way it is if I am getting these speeds as compared to my ethernet connection?
And can you maybe explain why when I was not connected- the WHOLE computer seemed slow- and since I reconnected all her programs (even those NOT internet related) open up faster? HUH?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022
Everything looks fine, just unplug the netgear usb adapter. There's no need for it.

Cable labeled 4 does not appear to be connected to anything, or the device it's plugged into is not turned on. You can unplug cable 4.

Can you tell me How you know that cables 1 thru 3 is connected at full Gigabit speed?

Can you tell me How you know that cables 1 thru 3 is connected at full Gigabit speed?

When both green lights are on, for your router it means gigabit speed. Because it says “both on =1G” above the ports. When one light is on, depending on the side, it means 100mbps or 10mbps.

For most other ethernet ports there is an amber led. Amber is gigabit, green is 100mbps and no light is 10mbps. The 2nd led is the activity light.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022

I know I asked this question before- BUT you never replied--
"Correct sir-- ut as stated - somehow the Netgear USB adapter got disconnected either from a power outage or whatever- and all during this time my wife's computer ran horribly- internet and everything else. Ever since I opened the control panel and the icon for NetGear in the hidden icon taskbar- and did a join network search and then connected- that is when her speed increased drastically along with other NON-internet functions. That is why I am not sure disconnecting this will make her ONLY hard-wired and run well. How come that did NOT happen before- was it because the USB adapter was plugged in?? Please advise.
Could I just leave it the way it is if I am getting these speeds as compared to my ethernet connection?
And can you maybe explain why when I was not connected- the WHOLE computer seemed slow- and since I reconnected all her programs (even those NOT internet related) open up faster? HUH?

So again-- what if I LEAVE all the way it is-- knowing what I said above that WHEN Netgear was NOT working- I had no GOOD connectivity? That is my true question.. And should I try what the Verizon guy said- to unplug her cable and put it into my computer and see if I have connectivity? and depending on the result- either buy a new cable or something is wrong with the computer (which if there is THEN I will definitely stay with the NetGear.

I know I asked this question before- BUT you never replied--
"Correct sir-- ut as stated - somehow the Netgear USB adapter got disconnected either from a power outage or whatever- and all during this time my wife's computer ran horribly- internet and everything else. Ever since I opened the control panel and the icon for NetGear in the hidden icon taskbar- and did a join network search and then connected- that is when her speed increased drastically along with other NON-internet functions. That is why I am not sure disconnecting this will make her ONLY hard-wired and run well. How come that did NOT happen before- was it because the USB adapter was plugged in?? Please advise.

So again-- what if I LEAVE all the way it is-- knowing what I said above that WHEN Netgear was NOT working- I had no GOOD connectivity? That is my true question.. And should I try what the Verizon guy said- to unplug her cable and put it into my computer and see if I have connectivity? and depending on the result- either buy a new cable or something is wrong with the computer (which if there is THEN I will definitely stay with the NetGear.

Because I've never experienced a time when an ancient wireless N adapter was faster than gigabit ethernet. If the wireless N USB adapter is faster, then there's something configured wrong on the computer. Plugging in a wireless USB adapter can not in any way speed up her non-internet related performance either. That goes against everything I know and have seen over my career of over 15 years.

Perhaps it was slow because she didn't have her laptop plugged into the power outlet? Laptops will throttle down to conserve power when not plugged into the wall plug. They'll run at higher performance and wattage when plugged into the AC outlet.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022
Because I've never experienced a time when an ancient wireless N adapter was faster than gigabit ethernet. If the wireless N USB adapter is faster, then there's something configured wrong on the computer. Plugging in a wireless USB adapter can not in any way speed up her non-internet related performance either. That goes against everything I know and have seen over my career of over 15 years.

Perhaps it was slow because she didn't have her laptop plugged into the power outlet? Laptops will throttle down to conserve power when not plugged into the wall plug. They'll run at higher performance and wattage when plugged into the AC outlet.
I totally understand you and your information- BUT believe me- something magically happened because I am living this scenario?- But she has a desktop not a laptop. So can you then explain why when for some reason as mentioned before like a possible power surge or drop that MAY have disconnected the USB adapter for some time- is NOW reactivated-- and I am surfing at a decent clip as mentioned-- do you think I should experiment further by switching her cable into MY machine OR use a different ethernet cable for her machine or UNplugging it totally(back to square ONE as when it was NOT connected)-to see if the ETHERNET connection kicks in and works OK WITHOUT the USA adapter-
I am really leaning to leaving well enough alone- we finally are surfing at good speeds- I hate to mess with that?
Your take on that-- I know you probably disagree- but IS IT OK if I do that? Just need a little pat on the back here LOL

You really have to hack things to get multiple nic cards actually to be used at the same time in windows. I am not sure that is even happening in your case.

By default if you were to have a wifi card and a ethernet card both configured it would choose the ethernet and ignore the wifi. Now if you unplugged the ethernet it would switch over the wifi.

Pretty much windows is smart and it know which interface is the fastest and will use that one. Even if you have a machine with 2 ethernet ports it will pick one of the 2 using whatever rules windows uses and leave the other unused.

You can use the IPCONFIG /all command to see which interfaces are actual active. You can then use the ROUTE PRINT command to see which of those interfaces is actually being used.

It is not very likely the data is being send over the wifi connection even if it is actually active to the router.

Oct 30, 2022
You really have to hack things to get multiple nic cards actually to be used at the same time in windows. I am not sure that is even happening in your case.

By default if you were to have a wifi card and a ethernet card both configured it would choose the ethernet and ignore the wifi. Now if you unplugged the ethernet it would switch over the wifi.

Pretty much windows is smart and it know which interface is the fastest and will use that one. Even if you have a machine with 2 ethernet ports it will pick one of the 2 using whatever rules windows uses and leave the other unused.

You can use the IPCONFIG /all command to see which interfaces are actual active. You can then use the ROUTE PRINT command to see which of those interfaces is actually being used.

It is not very likely the data is being send over the wifi connection even if it is actually active to the router.
Thank u so much- so let's say I unplug this USB Netgear adapter from the back of the tower and my speed drops to horrible results like BEFORE-- How do I ENABLE that ethernet cable that IS plugged into the back of my wife's tower IN the ethernet PORT? :)