Question Need to boot PC twice + other, weirder errors

pieguy6mc

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
OK. So In july there was a minor coffee spill and I had to replace my GPU, and also replaced RAM for good measure. Of course, the new GPU (RX 580) needed more power, so we plugged the 6-pin in. Combined with the new mechanical keyboard, this possibly overloaded the power at startup. I got a powered USB hub but the problem didn't stop, so I just unplug the usb things when I boot up and plug them in on the login screen. However, now I'm locked in a stalemate. The first boot up always results in a BSOD with varying errors (such as memory bad, irlq_not_less_or_equal, etc.). After the BSOD, which never goes past 0%, the monitors stop getting a signal from the pc and it will stay on unless I flick the PSU switch (Power button or reset does nothing). Booting up the second time, everything works fine. It's getting really annoying.

Every time I google the error, it gives me a list of things to check. Most of these things are different per error, but one common cause is always "driver errors". So recently I ran disk checker and it found no errors. Windows update is just installing more .NET frameworks, and verifier.exe also needs a restart. In the past, I have checked system files and found some errors that were patched up, but this still happens.

What steps should I take, do I need to replace anything else, and is there an all-in-one tool that I can use to check this stuff instead of having 3 different programs for each specific error.

Thanks.

SPECS:
AMD FX-6300, STOCK COOLER
SAPPHIRE RX 580 8GB
16GB DDR3 RAM (2 8GB STICKS)
MSI 60-GMA P34(FX)
EVGA 650W PSU (Not 80+ gold or whatever it was 50$)
1TB HDD
A DISC DRIVE
CORSAIR K68 RGB MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
HAVIT 8$ GAMING MOUSE
1X ACER 1920x1080 MONITOR 60HZ (from like 2013)
1X SHARP HDMI TV (1366 X 768)
2 GREEN LED FANS

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My uninformed opinion is that if you are having power issues going over the "edge" just on the USB devices it would indicate to me that your PSU is either underpowered or going bad.

Might check event viewer to see if you have 41 kernel power showing there.

The first thing I would do is turn off fast startup https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html. I'm thinking when Windows 10 loads your memory when you shutdown, the data is getting corrupted, leading the need for a second boot after the RAM has been cleared.

If this does not work, try running with just one stick of RAM, then switch to the other. Did you buy a matched set of RAM? I would also run memtest86 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html to make sure your new memory was installed correctly and is not corrupt.

Either it was simply not properly inserted (reinsert and test again), or it needs to be returned.

BTW corrupted is not the right term, if a RAM stick fails a memtest, than it is defective (my bad). If you need to return the memory, you will need to return both sticks, as it needs to be replaced with a matched pair.

Last edited:

pieguy6mc

Reputable
Jul 22, 2016
Either it was simply not properly inserted (reinsert and test again), or it needs to be returned.

BTW corrupted is not the right term, if a RAM stick fails a memtest, than it is defective (my bad). If you need to return the memory, you will need to return both sticks, as it needs to be replaced with a matched pair.
turned off fast start and it works now. thanks