[SOLVED] Need to build (first) upgradeable CAD PC

protter

Honorable
Oct 21, 2015
I have now tormented myself for a very long time during university with my (10y old) laptop with programs like latex, CAD, ABAQUS and Matlab. Each time it was very slow and took forever to complete some tasks. Now after a long time of saving I want to do my master a little faster ;)
I have read that for CAD applications the Quadro graphics cards from nvidia or the AMD pro series are well suited.
these are a few key data I thought I had to stick to, so that I can enjoy this device for a long time:
CPU
Cores:+4Clock:+3Ghz
GPU
Workstation Graphics Card NVIDIA Quadro and AMD FirePro
RAM
ECC RamSize: +16
Storage
HDD,SATA,NVME: NVME

1. have I forgotten anything I should be looking for?
  2. which components should I invest in, so that I can upgrade for a long time at low cost (mainboard max ram size)?
  3. do you have examples for individual components (GPU P2000 good price/performance ratio)?
  4. More like AMD or Intel?
  5. Is it worth to wait
  6. would it be better to wait at the moment? I don't know about the prices of the different parts at the moment

I have about 1000€ to spend.
From Germany

Thanks a lot
EDIT: it's the first PC I build, but I don't have two left hands

Solution
I have now tormented myself for a very long time during university with my (10y old) laptop with programs like latex, CAD, ABAQUS and Matlab. Each time it was very slow and took forever to complete some tasks. Now after a long time of saving I want to do my master a little faster ;)
I have read that for CAD applications the Quadro graphics cards from nvidia or the AMD pro series are well suited.
these are a few key data I thought I had to stick to, so that I can enjoy this device for a long time:
CPU
GPU
RAM
Storage

2. which components...
CPU
GPU
RAM
Storage

2. which components should I invest in, so that I can upgrade for a long time at low cost (mainboard max ram size)?
  3. do you have examples for individual components (GPU P2000 good price/performance ratio)?
  4. More like AMD or Intel?
  5. Is it worth to wait
  6. would it be better to wait at the moment? I don't know about the prices of the different parts at the moment
I have about 1000€ to spend.
From Germany

Thanks a lot
EDIT: it's the first PC I build, but I don't have two left hands

Here is my suggestion:
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fnLcn7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Crucial 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory ($92.15 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory ($92.15 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: AMD Radeon Pro WX 4100 4 GB Video Card ($249.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.90 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($142.88 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1291.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-24 04:48 EDT-0400

Note that on PC Part Picker it throws up an error that that cpu / motherboard doesn't support ECC ram - however when you read up all Ryzen 3000 series cpu's have ECC support, and the Asus motherboard states ECC support depends on the cpu so it should be fine.

Note that by going ECC and using a workstation class graphics card that does up the cost a bit over your budget. You could potentially bring the cost down a bit by dropping to 2 x 8gb ECC memory modules although for CAD work I personally would recommend 32 gb of ram if you can manage it.

I have suggested going with the Radeon PRO WX 4100 as it offers decent performance for the money (works out cheaper than the Quadro cards for similar performance) - that said, it's worth checking out benchmarks for the software you want to use as the performance of workstation cards can vary quite a bit application to application. I use a WX3100 for mechanical CAD and it works well.

I have also specified a good quality gold rated PSU - essential if you need reliability (which I am assuming you are going for given the ECC ram) - same with the case, that isn't the cheapest but has lots of airflow to help keep all the internals cool and stable.

The cpu comes with a decent cooler if running at stock settings (which for stability is recommended).

The above setup gives you lots of room to expand as well - AMD offer up to 16 core cpu's on this platform (6 should be plenty for now in most cad tasks but nice to have options), as well as support for up to 128gb of ram.

Reactions: protter
Solution