Need To Buy A Laptop - Form Filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hello,

I need a laptop only for Video Blogging (YouTube). I will shoot my video through my phone and then copy the video to my laptop and edit it (I will use basic video editor to cut the first few minutes of video, as I myself switch on the camera and don't want to show others the first few minutes) and then I will export the video to HD format and upload to youtube. I am looking for low cost.

1. What is your budget?
Rs 20000 which is equivalent to $300.19
I may try to add more Rs 2000 ($30) in budget if it's required...

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" is my preferred size

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Resolution I'm not sure but prefer good colors like 1280x1024

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Any kind of laptop will do, the only concern I've is: to get good performance laptop so that I'd do video blogging.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'll use electricity all the time but in case if there is a power cut, I wish I'd get approx. 4 hrs backup

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
NO games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I will shoot my video through my phone and then copy the video to my laptop and edit it (I will use basic video editor to cut the first few minutes of video, as I myself switch on the camera and don't want to show others the first few minutes) and then I will export the video to HD format and upload to youtube.
I will use FIrefox or chrome
I will use basic image editor to create thumbnail for my video.
That's it.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I need 150GB space for my videos

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
These sites give good deals:
https://www.snapdeal.com/products/computers-laptops
http://www.amazon.in/Laptops/b/ref=nav_shopall_computers_laptop?ie=UTF8&node=1375424031
https://www.flipkart.com/
http://www.shopclues.com/computers/laptops.html

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I do not need any Optical drive. If required, I will install Windows OS through thumb drive (USB).

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I prefer: HP, Lenovo (as their screen color, brightness is cool, and not harsh. Their keypad keys are soft). But this is not a must, you can recommend other bard if they are giving good deal.

I do not like: Dell because after a year their laptop has hardware issue and runs tremendously slow. My friend also faced the same issue.

13. What country do you live in?
India (currently residing here)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I need soft keys keypad.
A few laptop brands give Dos OS instead of Windows to cut their cost. I can go for Dos OS if it comes with laptop and later I myself will install Windows 7 etc..

Most of the brands are available here and provide 100% support so no issue.

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

I have already checked these links before posting in forum, the first two are bogus links because they written those articles just to promote their affiliate links and the 3rd one is not one.

If you had to answer the post by searching google then why there is a requirement (Sticky post) to fill out this long form. I invested a lot of time to write out everything in appropriate manner.

I didn't expect this kind of answer from tomshardware where gems of knowledgeable moderator moderate the forum.

I understand, it's not your responsibility to answer my question but the links which you posted, really disappointed me and it shows you just searched google and posted a few links randomly without looking at those pages what they are because if you had gone through them then you' would have understood they are crap. (you might did this just to answer the post rather than putting any effort to help other person which is actually premise behind tomshardware to help people)

"
I have already checked these links before posting in forum, the first two are bogus links because they written those articles just to promote their affiliate links and the 3rd one is not one."...

and by that u mean what??? what is ur source of the information???

if i had posted a link, i have definitely checked the models and their specs before suggesting those links...
20-22000 bucks is more of entry level laptops for which u wont find a drastic performance difference...the first link between has a particular model from Fujitsu with 8gb ram (perhaps the only one in that range)...did u check that???

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Fujitsu keyboard is not good, trust me it's rough & gives pain. Overall this laptop built quality is so poor, my old friend had one.

Could you please suggest me any laptop from this site :
https://www.snapdeal.com/products/computers-laptops (I'd try to increase my budget.)

(Please make sure I just need to do basic level of video editing for youtube as I described above.)

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Thanks, I prefer intel

I'm not technical like you but just trying to understand. I made this chart http://ark.intel.com/compare/81074,79049,76751,91830,87261,82105,84695,81018,81016
and found that these processors:

Pentium family:
N3710 -- 1.60 GHz (latest)
N3540 -- 2.16 GHz
both have 4 cores (so they might perform well for video editing but not sure. Even though these 2 processors are latest. but Pentium is now the old & cheapest series of Intel.

Whereas i5-4210U -- 1.70 GHz (which you recommended in above laptop)
has 2 cores and a different series of processor. But all these 3 costs almost same (in laptops)

Whats the basic difference between these processors, even there cores are different and Ghz is different but price is almost same in laptops?

Which one will be more powerful for my work?

i5 is more powerful than the pentium series...this i5 might have 2 physical cores but has 4 threads, which is equal to 4 virtual cores...keep in mind each core has its separate l1 and l2 cache...
as u can also see from that chart, it has more memory capability along with turbo boost which is a gud feature for ramping up faster processing capability...
also as u go higher up in the price bracket, pentium disappears with more of i5 and i7 taking way...

if u ask specifically about what can meet ur requirement, then any modern laptop with a decent chip under the hood can do that, since u r not gaming...and yes, including the celeron...but at what performance level and is it value for the money u r paying?...thats a different question...the link that u have posted has a 3rd generation ivy bridge architecture on which the celeron has been modeled...we are currently at the 6th gen skylake going on to 7th gen in a matter of months...its like paying a hefty sum for obsolete technology...this is beside the fact that celerons are even less powerful than pentiums...

let me simplify this more...
the performance of a chip will not only depend on its variant, but also its integrated technology...keeping that in mind...
celeron < pentium < i3 < i5 <i7
and the generations...do i need to say how it works???

i wud say...go for any of the i3 or i5 that fits ur budget and has a decent configuration with minimum 4 gb ram...

RahulIan

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

I searched a lot like crazy person but couldn't find any HP or Lenovo laptop in Intel i5 under my budget even after increasing the budget, so

Could you please recommend me AMD processor: Model numbers and RAM configuration which are good for basic video editing
so that based on that I can find the laptop in these sites:
https://www.snapdeal.com/products/computers-laptops
http://www.amazon.in/Laptops/b/ref=dp_bc_2?ie=UTF8&node=1375424031

Frustrated_1

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hey,I read your thread and understand your needs.

If you want to get the job done in the tightest budget, you can consider any of the latest Acer ES11 models within 20K rs.

This would be your best pick with more processing power and long lasting capability- Lenovo Ideapad 110 (available on Flipkart for 22K rs)

Status
Not open for further replies.