Need to buy what appears to be an unusual capacitor for a Samsung 26" TV

HiDef

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Hi all,

Hoping someone who is well-versed with Capacitors may be able to assist with this one :)

My Samsung 26" TV has suddenly stopped working - even the red stand-by light doesn't come on. It appears that the capacitor shown in the attached photos is the culprit, based on the bulge I can see at the top. So, I am looking to de-solder this capacitor and replace with the same or something that would still work as a replacement.

I live in New Zealand and there isn't a lot of choices for electronics stores, but my best bet is probably this one for something similar: https://www.jaycar.co.nz/components-electromechanical/capacitors/c/2F?sort=popularity-desc&q They have advised that they don't have the capacitor I'm after though. Based on their product range, could there be a similar capacitor I could use that is compatible and safe? It looks like the specs are 1200uf 10v.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ralston18

Titan
Barring an outright counterfeit or a poorly designed/manufactured capacitor any equivalently spec'd capacitor should work.

I googled the specs just out of general interest.

Appears to be a number of sources.

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/1200uf-10v-capacitor/s?k=1200uf+10v+capacitor

Not sure about the required tolerance and/or how much leeway the Samsung allows.

Stay within allowances.

And, that capacitor to the left of your "red-boxed" capacitor appears to be discoloring.

You might consider a couple of extra spares/replacements for the other capacitors - just in case.....

"It appears that the capacitor shown in the attached photos is the culprit "
You can't just assume this.
Hopefully it's this....but in my experience...if I have a problem like you have with an electronic device...and I see a bulged capacitor...usually the bulged capacitor has nothing to do with the problem. I've seen machines run that were full of bulged capacitors.

Reactions: BogdanH

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I cannot recall the model number, but this was a fairly common run with some Samsung a while back. I got one that would blink the red light but never come on. In my case it was a capacitor, less than $.25 to repair in actual parts and the TV is working fine to this day.