Need to capture VHS to DVD plus need to convert DV to VHS ..

Hi

I am running a pentium 4 Dell with XP pro. I have 2 separate 120gb
hard drive. I have a plextor dvd writer and the ATI Radeon 9800 pro
graphics card, which includes s- and composite-video out (with an
adapter)

Here's what I want to do: I want to purchase the Adaptec VideOh Dvd
Media Center USB 2.0 Edition TV / video input adapter. By adding this
device, I hope to:

a) watch TV and Cable on my computer, which I cannot do now.
b) convert analog to DVDs without having to go through my digital
camcorder
c) Take digital video and write it to a VHS tape (i guess thru the
Radeon)

Is this set up possible? It's hard for me to believe I have found one
product that may actually solve my outstanding issues. I should note
that I will often just want the VHS to go straight to dvd, no editing
etc.

I also do not want to use the bundled softwar that comes with the
adaptec. I am leaning towards the new Nero for it's stability and low
learning curve and a direct to disk program. I don't need tons of
features. Will this cause a problem?

Thank you in advance.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

battfam@sbcglobal.net (mbatt) wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am running a pentium 4 Dell with XP pro. I have 2 separate 120gb
>hard drive. I have a plextor dvd writer and the ATI Radeon 9800 pro
>graphics card, which includes s- and composite-video out (with an
>adapter)
>
>Here's what I want to do: I want to purchase the Adaptec VideOh Dvd
>Media Center USB 2.0 Edition TV / video input adapter. By adding this
>device, I hope to:
>
>a) watch TV and Cable on my computer, which I cannot do now.
>b) convert analog to DVDs without having to go through my digital
>camcorder
>c) Take digital video and write it to a VHS tape (i guess thru the
>Radeon)
>
>Is this set up possible? It's hard for me to believe I have found one
>product that may actually solve my outstanding issues. I should note
>that I will often just want the VHS to go straight to dvd, no editing
>etc.
>

>I also do not want to use the bundled softwar that comes with the
>adaptec. I am leaning towards the new Nero for it's stability and low
>learning curve and a direct to disk program. I don't need tons of
>features. Will this cause a problem?
>
>Thank you in advance.

Take a look at the Ulead products such as DVD MovieFactory and Video
Studio www.ulead.com

Regards Brian

Brian <nospam@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:<3f1580d99ucuie0lg1mce5k92uh1m0rv1r@4ax.com>...

> Take a look at the Ulead products such as DVD MovieFactory and Video
> Studio www.ulead.com
>
> Regards Brian

Actually, the Ulead products come bundled with the Adaptec VideOh, and
I will probably try them out, but I don't know if *other* programs,
such as Nero, will work as well, or if I am better off using the
bundled software. I had a recent *nightmare* experience with the
bundled Roxio suite and my DVD recording drive, so I'm a bit gun shy
of bundled software.

Thank you.

> such as Nero, will work as well, or if I am better off using the
> bundled software. I had a recent *nightmare* experience with the
> bundled Roxio suite and my DVD recording drive, so I'm a bit gun shy
> of bundled software.

Nero is the only burning program I would consider but I don't use it for
authoring the DVD. Exceedingly stable for me and I've used it for a
number of years.

What do you use for authoring? And what hardware are you using to capture?

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote in message news:<1ADgc.42150$951.36060@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
> > such as Nero, will work as well, or if I am better off using the
> > bundled software. I had a recent *nightmare* experience with the
> > bundled Roxio suite and my DVD recording drive, so I'm a bit gun shy
> > of bundled software.
>

> Nero is the only burning program I would consider but I don't use it for
> authoring the DVD. Exceedingly stable for me and I've used it for a
> number of years.

> What do you use for authoring? And what hardware are you using to
capture?

I started out using TPMG DVD Author, which was fine for basic stuff, but
bit the bullet and got Adobe's Encore because I also use Premier Pro and
am trying to learn After Effects as well. Those products offer seamless
integration and a common, though non-standard and clunky Windows
interface.

I use an ATI AIW 128 Pro for capture.