Need to change IRQ frequenies in Vista

Badatgame

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Hello all, I need to change my IRQ frequenies for my USB ports, because I have two usb's and sound running on the same frequency. The problem is that after using my usb mouse and keyboard for a while (1-2 hours) the sound gets all choppy, my frame rates in games slows down, and the only way to fix it is to reboot. I've already looked into a heating issue, which it is not. Here is a screenshot if needed :

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k111/WFCxBadatgame/Untitled432.jpg

anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Badatgame

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Bump, I took my computer to a computer repair store, and they told me that I needed to change the IRQ frequenies so that the USB and the audio weren't running on the same one. The guy there didn't know how to do it in vista, so i thought that someone might know here

As far as I can tell its the same as in XP. Go to your Device manager, select the device and go to resources. Then highlight the IRQ and change it.

As for a PC tech not knowing that, answer me why he has that job? I am stuck working in a call center for CitiBank and this tech guy gets paid to fix PC's but can't tell you how to change the IRQ in Vista?

Where do you live so I can get him fired and take over? Freakin idiots are now fixing people PC's. No wounder why everyone has problems.

G

You missed the mark on this one jimmy. The PC repair guy didn't know how to change the IRQ in Vista because it's NOT the way it was in XP. When you go to the device manager in Vista you do not have access to even see the IRQ under the resources tab much less to change it. I cannot even imagine why Microsoft disabled the ability to change IRQ's short of editing the registry but that's how it is. Better just keep your call center job, if you weren't aware IRQs can't be changed in Vista's Device Manager then you haven't had enough expeirence with it to be a PC tech.

kotul

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I'd like to know how to change this as well, for some reason vista is pulling up the wrong resource for my Serial port, now when I try and go and change it, it says: "you cannot modify the resources in this configuration. Try choosing a different configuratuion in the 'Settings Based On' box." I work in a rather large corporation, and neither me nor my boss knows how to fix this.