need to combine 2 hdd's.

nospmahm

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I have 1 computer operating well with W 10, I have a SATA HDD that I removed from another computer that was too old to run W 10, but the HDD is only 3 years old.
I would like to combine both of the HDD's on the one that has the largest capacity and not loose any data, files, programs etc. Both drives are SATA with type MBR. I should be able to do that with both drives in the same computer case.
I can't figure it out how to do that without loosing info on the Larger Drive. In other words I want the bigger drive to wind up with its own data plus the smaller drive. With my abilities I think copy and paste would take forever.
I am 85 years with beginning Dementia so non-technical instructions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
The old HDD from another pc can be attached to your current windows 10.
It will have an added letter designation.
Data files on that second hdd will be perfectly useable.
If you had programs installed on that old hdd, they will not run.
That is because installed programs use the windows registry which is no longer around.

Then, also, there may be an added option. "JBOD" or Just another Bunch Of Disks.
I have not used this nor do I know how to set it up.
But, I understand there is a windows process by which you can aggregate a number of disks and access them under a single drive letter.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't easily "combine" them into one large space.
And especially without losing anything from either or both.

Having 2 individual drives is no problem. No actual need to "combine" them.
Connecting this second drive from the old system should just result in it being another drive letter. D or E perhaps.

Is this not the case?

The old HDD from another pc can be attached to your current windows 10.
It will have an added letter designation.
Data files on that second hdd will be perfectly useable.
If you had programs installed on that old hdd, they will not run.
That is because installed programs use the windows registry which is no longer around.

Then, also, there may be an added option. "JBOD" or Just another Bunch Of Disks.
I have not used this nor do I know how to set it up.
But, I understand there is a windows process by which you can aggregate a number of disks and access them under a single drive letter.

Solution

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
You could try FreeFileSync or anything similar to "allow" the source HDD to copy everything it has onto the target HDD. I cannot walk you through this, I do not know how to walk someone through such a "signt-unseen". I recommend you find a local computer software guru who can either walk you through everything, or, have you watch over the shoulder as that person does the work.