[SOLVED] Need to connect one Vlan to another in laptop

Mar 11, 2020
Dear all,

I have a backbone network with rings and routers.
I have IPs in the range 10.11.176.x and gateway 10.11.176.1
another VLAN has IPs 10.11.177.x and gateway 10.11.177.1

I can ping all IPs in both ranges from any connected computer. That means I have assigned 10.11.176.x to my PC and then i can ping 10.11.177.x. All is working fine.

The problem is with my laptop which has wifi.
I am connected to wifi which has auto IP address and gateway.
Also i have connected to my local network using a LAN cable and assigned IP : 10.11.176.x and gateway 10.11.176.1

Now from my laptop i am unable to ping the IP 10.11.177.x

Can anyone help me out with this issue at the earliest.
Tons and Tons of thanks in advance

Solution
Run a tracert and see which path it takes. You should see at least one of the gateway machines respond.

In the long run you need to adjust the routing if you have 2 active networks. Key will be to learn the ROUTE command. You only can have 1 default route everything else you must manually tell the pc which connection ot use.

Windows is not really designed to be a dual connected OS.
Mar 11, 2020
It almost has to the be router that has both the 176 and 177 subnet on it. It is that routers responsibility to tranfer data between the subnets.
Agree... that it is routers responsibility.
and its doing it ... when I connect a single cable to my PC and assign address 10.11.176.x and then ping 10.11.177.x ....its working normally. That means router is doing its responsibility...

However when I connect a Laptop which has wifi connected in addition to the LAN cable (connected to 10.11.176.x) . I can ping 10.11.176.x but cannot ping now 10.11.177.x

So there is some misconfiguration or something needs to be done in my laptop ??

What IP is the wifi getting. It will take some special configuration to have both nics active at the same time when they are on different networks.

If they are both on the same network most devices favor the ethernet. There is a setting called metric in the nic settings that windows uses to break ties on choosing networks.

Some laptops will turn off the wifi when a ethenet cable is used this is very inconsistent between laptops so it is hard to say for sure.

Does it work properly if you only have the wifi active and the ethernet disabled or unplugged.

Mar 11, 2020
What IP is the wifi getting. It will take some special configuration to have both nics active at the same time when they are on different networks.

If they are both on the same network most devices favor the ethernet. There is a setting called metric in the nic settings that windows uses to break ties on choosing networks.

Some laptops will turn off the wifi when a ethenet cable is used this is very inconsistent between laptops so it is hard to say for sure.

Does it work properly if you only have the wifi active and the ethernet disabled or unplugged.
Wifi is connecting to internet and is taking IP :192.168.x.x which is totally different from LAN network IP of 10.11.176.x
I tried setting the Wifi metric to 2 and Lan cable metric to 1. Still the issue persists.

Run a tracert and see which path it takes. You should see at least one of the gateway machines respond.

In the long run you need to adjust the routing if you have 2 active networks. Key will be to learn the ROUTE command. You only can have 1 default route everything else you must manually tell the pc which connection ot use.

Windows is not really designed to be a dual connected OS.

Solution