[SOLVED] Need to convert XP HDD to an installer

Dec 21, 2020
ok heres the short of it, I got a client sill using XP Pro. The system run a DOS program and he can't migrate, the Hard Drive is original to the system. I tried cloning the drive to a new drive but no clone will boot, they all error and restart the system when trying to load Windows, What I want to do is convert his Windows XP as is to a Windows XP installer with full driver sets so that it can be reinstalled cleanly on a new drive but function as if it were a clone of the original drive.

Solution
Instead of spending time on a clone which probably won't work, spend that time to work out how to run this in a VM, or in new hardware and OS with a viable install.
Dec 21, 2020
this needs to run on the original system as the DOS program was manually configured to work with this exact system. the main catch is that the software needs to be programed to be able to detect and use a printer via LPT ( parallel ). The knowlage on how to program it has been effectively lost so I need to make this work on the original hardware so that they can get back to work

Dec 21, 2020
for more context, he is looking into how to program the printer so that XP VM's can be used to replace the original hardware, but until he can figure that out we need to refurbish and maintain the working system as best we can.

Dec 21, 2020
Drive is wearing out after almost 20 years of use 5 days a week. I think the issue is XP having originally been installed on a PATA Drive and I'm trying to clone to a SATA, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to replace the drive before it fails. I tried using Acronis 2020 and macrium, Acronis errors but Macrium succeeds in cloning with no errors, the drive starts to boot then XP fails reboots and brings you to the Safeboot select screen any boot option selected result in a restart back to the same screen.

Dec 21, 2020
I'll try clonezilla, thankyou. also if I get a PATA to SATA Adaptor do you think that would make XP play nice? XP's boot device quarks is not really my strong point.

Instead of spending time on a clone which probably won't work, spend that time to work out how to run this in a VM, or in new hardware and OS with a viable install.
Yeah good luck making a parallel port work on VM and especially with the old printer and double especially with a hand written dos program.
also if I get a PATA to SATA Adaptor do you think that would make XP play nice?
It will show up as a normal ide drive so yes.
Keep in mind that XP and the bios of these days had size limits for drives, you will have to try with a drive that is 320Gb at most and if that doesn't work because the system is even older you should try with even smaller disks.
Also if you clone a drive it expects to be on the exact same ide port that the original was on, don't expect it to boot from a different port or even a different position on the cable of the same port.

Also for old systems nothing beats good old ghost32.

Dec 21, 2020
Yeah good luck making a parallel port work on VM and especially with the old printer and double especially with a hand written dos program.

It will show up as a normal ide drive so yes.
Keep in mind that XP and the bios of these days had size limits for drives, you will have to try with a drive that is 320Gb at most and if that doesn't work because the system is even older you should try with even smaller disks.
Also if you clone a drive it expects to be on the exact same ide port that the original was on, don't expect it to boot from a different port or even a different position on the cable of the same port.

Also for old systems nothing beats good old ghost32.
Ty for the info, I'm cloning to a 1TB using but keeping the 80GB partition size and leaving the rest uninit, if the client has the time to wait I might try getting a PATA to SATA adaptor.