Question Need to erase absolutely everything off my hard drive

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
I currently have my operating system on my samsung 960 evo but it's only 250gb so i just bought and installed a normal 1TB ssd that i plan to move my operating system to. I also have a 1TB hard drive that is full and i can't seem to manually delete everything off of it. If i were to use Darik's boot and nuke, would i be able to even use the hard drive again afterwards? I watched a video and the guy said the hard drive is trashed. I'm also pretty sure that the hard drive has a copy of my operating system on it from when i cloned it to move it to my SSD but something went slightly wrong and now my computer seems slower overall

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, DBAN will allow you to use the drive after.

Or, simply use the commandline function Diskpart and the clean command.

Do not do this until the system is verified to be working from the new SSD by itself.

For your moving from the current 256GB to the 1TB...how do you plan to do it.
There are methods, but you must do it properly.

Reactions: DMAN999

adza botchway

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
Yes, DBAN will allow you to use the drive after.

Or, simply use the commandline function Diskpart and the clean command.

Do not do this until the system is verified to be working from the new SSD by itself.

For your moving from the current 256GB to the 1TB...how do you plan to do it.
There are methods, but you must do it properly.

So I used this program called "macrium reflect" to clone my OS from the HDD to my SSD and it worked perfectly fine up until a certain point, at which i managed to fix it through trial and error but that's besides the point. I got the SSD today, t he 17th, and it works fine. I partitioned it already and everything so it's working fine and i plan on backing up my hard drive but my main concern is because i cloned my operating system FROM my hard drive to my SSD, im worried itll freak out again and delete my entire OS from the computer.

Overall, i simply want to put my current OS onto my 2.5" ssd from my NVMe ssd as well as clear out my HDD completely.

If i use that command you told me about, will it allow me to select what drive to clean?

edit: nevermind, i figured it out lmao... that was way easier than i thought. im shocked honestly

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS