[SOLVED] Need to explore upgrading my pc? advice would be great.

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
so to start here is my current rig.

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
MOBO: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
Power Supply: EVGA 120-G2-1000-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 1000 W Fully Modular
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop
Hard Drives: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive
GFX Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4992-KR 6GB
Keyboard & Mouse: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle (Red Edition)

I Have a 3 monitor setup that i would like to continue using so please keep that in mind with builds.

So I will most likely completely restart with a new case and everything and then sell the pc parts of my current build after the new one is done to recoup some cost.

I am starting to notice my current pc just not quite getting there in terms of performance, sure it's still more than enough for minecraft and rainbow 6 ect. but load times are getting a bit much, cpu usage is going up and i usually have to uninstall a few games to download the latest new one that drops since they are getting larger and larger in size. I have a new 144hz AOC monitor and 2 support lenovos on either side for auxilary things like browsers and discord and twitch ect. so i dont need monitors. I think the only thing i would keep from my current pc in the power supply since when i bought it it was stupid amounts of overkill. but hey you live you learn.

I know that to get a GFX card on par with todays standards im gonna be dropping like 600$ plus so lets ignore budget for now, I want to build a great gaming pc that will hold up for the next 3-5 years like the one i currently have did while at the same time not being overkill. thats the goal. to be fair this pc held up well since it was built in 2015 lol.

If it helps i use my pc non stop from streams to gaming to editing and some content creation. I KNOW i want a lot more FASTER Storage but i know that some m.2 drives are actually just SSDs basically and not any better performance ect so subtle nuances like that i know nothing about.

I dont care about getting the highest possible FPS known to man. I do care about getting great fps consistently in all games from ARMA 3 to GTA 5 to rainbow 6 and even minecraft. so take that for what its worth.

Also its been awhile. (5 years to be exact) since i built a pc so any tips like how to install windows without buying a new copy and without a disk drive, or how to OC ram and CPU ect resources you might have would be big helps. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution

MOBO: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
Hard Drives: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5
Keyboard &...

Keyboard & Mouse: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle (Red Edition)

I Have a 3 monitor setup that i would like to continue using so please keep that in mind with builds.

So I will most likely completely restart with a new case and everything and then sell the pc parts of my current build after the new one is done to recoup some cost.

I am starting to notice my current pc just not quite getting there in terms of performance, sure it's still more than enough for minecraft and rainbow 6 ect. but load times are getting a bit much, cpu usage is going up and i usually have to uninstall a few games to download the latest new one that drops since they are getting larger and larger in size. I have a new 144hz AOC monitor and 2 support lenovos on either side for auxilary things like browsers and discord and twitch ect. so i dont need monitors. I think the only thing i would keep from my current pc in the power supply since when i bought it it was stupid amounts of overkill. but hey you live you learn.

I know that to get a GFX card on par with todays standards im gonna be dropping like 600$ plus so lets ignore budget for now, I want to build a great gaming pc that will hold up for the next 3-5 years like the one i currently have did while at the same time not being overkill. thats the goal. to be fair this pc held up well since it was built in 2015 lol.

If it helps i use my pc non stop from streams to gaming to editing and some content creation. I KNOW i want a lot more FASTER Storage but i know that some m.2 drives are actually just SSDs basically and not any better performance ect so subtle nuances like that i know nothing about.

I dont care about getting the highest possible FPS known to man. I do care about getting great fps consistently in all games from ARMA 3 to GTA 5 to rainbow 6 and even minecraft. so take that for what its worth.

Also its been awhile. (5 years to be exact) since i built a pc so any tips like how to install windows without buying a new copy and without a disk drive, or how to OC ram and CPU ect resources you might have would be big helps. Thanks in advance for any help.

There is some really nice new hardware for you to upgrade to so I think you'll be pleased with the performance jump from 4th gen!

What I will say though, is that graphics card wise now probably isn't the best time to buy, as there are much more powerful next generation cards due from both nVidia and AMD later in the year. On the cpu side Intel have a new generation of CPU's announced but not yet out so if you have a strong preference for an Intel system I would wait a couple of weeks for 10th gen as it looks like a good step up from 9th gen . That said I don't think it's going to change the competitive position that greatly vs AMD Ryzen 3000 series as it's yet another rehash of the Sky Lake architecture (first released as the Intel 6000 series).

Personally in your position, I would look at building a new machine based around the AM4 platform and a Ryzen 3000 series cpu, and keep your current 980ti as that is still a capable enough graphics card to tide you over until the next gen cards come out later this year.

Given you do lots of streaming and productivity stuff as well as gaming, you would probably benefit from going fairly high core count - the Ryzen 9 3900X is probably a good fit price / performance as it's 12 cores, 24 threads and isn't stupidly expensive (whereas the 16 core 3950X does cost quite a premium being the top end part).

With regard to storage, when you need to look for is an NVME drive - those are connected directly to the cpu via PCIe bus like the graphics card and can offer very high throughput compared to the slower sata drives. If you look at an X570 based motherboard there are plenty of options that have multiple NVME drive slots on the board. In terms of drives, there are lots of options for NVME, the Intel 660p drives are very good value for the capacity with moderate performance (1800 mb/sec), these are good choices for a second drive for bulk storage, whilst something like the Samsung 970 evo NVME units offer fast performance at ~ 3000 mb/sec throughput for a bit more money, either option are much faster than the 600 mb/sec sata drives.

Solution