Question Need to find then Download Wifi Adapter for Intel 2009 SONY VAIO

mwalgen44

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
Hello, hello,

I've got a 2009 SONY VAIO with Windows 7 and I'm not able to turn on its wifi. I could use some help.

Highlighting the Intel Wifi icon in the tray, I get a message that reads "Intel Wifi Technology Adapter not found."

Two network adapters exist in the Device Manager: 1) Intel Link 1000 BGN and 2) Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

I get the same message whether I click on the 1000 BGN or the Marvell Yukon. That message reads, "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)."

Can you recommend a site where I can download these adapters that is compatible and free of errors and complications? Windows 7 may have been discontinued. Thank you in advance.

Mike

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Go to Device Manager and then to the adapter in question. Should be showing a yellow triangle. Click on it's properties and then Hardware ID and use that string to search for appropriate drivers.

Have you checked the Sony Support site already?

mwalgen44

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
FYI, I did right-click on the wifi adapter 1000 BGN, and received this message: "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

Ditto for the Marvell Yukon driver.

mwalgen44

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
Go to Device Manager and then to the adapter in question. Should be showing a yellow triangle. Click on it's properties and then Hardware ID and use that string to search for appropriate drivers.

Have you checked the Sony Support site already?

Yes. I went there shortly after I posted this, and learned that my laptop in question, VPCEB42FX, that "there currently are no downloads for this product."

So I try their SUPPORT page to see if workarounds exist

Thanks for your efforts.

Apparently you can download a driver for the Intel Link 1000 BGN wifi adaptor from here

Reactions: mwalgen44
or use generic driver from intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html?product=50564

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. Disconnect from internet

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® WiFi Link 1000 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Wireless driver. if you chosen PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Reactions: mwalgen44

mwalgen44

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
Apparently you can download a driver for the Intel Link 1000 BGN wifi adaptor from here

Thank you. I tried that

Thank you for this. I tried that download yesterday and I keep getting the same "error" message. I will keep searching.

mwalgen44

Honorable
Feb 4, 2016
or use generic driver from intel
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-and-drivers-for-windows-7.html?product=50564

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. Disconnect from internet

3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® WiFi Link 1000 and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older wireless driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

5. Remove temporary files: Press the Windows Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe. Press OK. Select the main drive, usually C:\. Check Temporary Files and uncheck everything else. Press OK.

6. Install the Wireless driver. if you chosen PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all driver components.

Very nice. Thank you.

As to Step 1, I found it, but the prompt gives me 3 options: Modify, Repair, & Remove. So I chose "Remove," but there is no "Discard Settings" option. I presume they're the same function.

ZV505867

Prominent
Apr 1, 2022
Try a driver updater pack that works offline. I recommend DriverPack Offline, and I have used that successfully on two machines from around 2015. So, if your computer is from around 2009, it should most likely be able to find a network adapter of some sort. However, let me ask you a question.

What OS do you have installed?

If it's Windows XP or Vista, I'm not sure if the driverpack will work. I would recommend that you upgrade to Windows 7. In my opinion, upgrading to Windows 10 may be your best option. However, the hardware of that computer will likely not be able to run win10 very smoothly. If you would wish to try the DriverPack offline version, here's the link
https://archive.org/details/DriverPackOffline_201710
I haven't tested this one out yet. However, it seems like it contains Windows XP drivers. Give that a try - you'll need another computer to do this. Also, keep in mind that the ISO is over 15 GB.

ry a driver updater pack that works offline. I recommend DriverPack Offline
Worst advice given!

To OP: I would rather get a new USB WiFi adapter instead of fighting with windmills. Sony were well known NOT to publish all of their drivers / utilities on their website, even when the hardware was current. You can try the WayBack machine and try to find out what Sony had at that time about your laptop.

TRENDING THREADS