[SOLVED] Need to finish my new build

tkp

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I am in the middle of buying parts for a new build. The build is for a home general use/gaming computer. I would like the computer to last as long as possible. I picked the larger memory capacity and the better processor to allow some future proofing. The computer will be used in the main room of my house where RGB could cause some problems (having the computer on while watching T.V. etc.).

Over the last couple months I have bought

Items I already have

Case: Meshify C
Video card: Using my old RX 5600XT for a while until I decide to upgrade down the road
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GVKC
SSD: Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB)

CPU: 5800X Finally found it in stock at newegg for 449, so I ordered that today https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/p/N82E16819113665?Item=N82E16819113665

I still need to buy

Cooler: I really like the Dark Pro 4, Are there any concerns with this cooler, memory, and case combo?
Motherboard: This is where I would like a recommendations. Black is not critical, but I think it would make the build look nice. Not sure what features I need or what would be wasted, but I want full use of the memory and SSD speed. What is recommended here?
PSU: Leaning toward the Corsair RM750

Overall I have been keeping the theme a simple black.

Solution
I am a little confused on if the BIOS update is needed. Newegg's website says it may be needed. Amazon's website doesn't mention it. and Asus website made it sound like it isn't needed anymore. What are the chances the motherboard will already be updated and not need a BIOS flash?
It depends on when the board was made they come with the latest BIOS for the manufacture date but their no telling how long it's been sitting on a shelf.

You need to get a board with the button to flash the BIOS without a working CPU just in case.

Board with a BIOS flash button.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Gallery

I would of got the less expensive 10700K right at the same (gaming) performance and will work with any Z...

tkp

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I am a little confused on if the BIOS update is needed. Newegg's website says it may be needed. Amazon's website doesn't mention it. and Asus website made it sound like it isn't needed anymore. What are the chances the motherboard will already be updated and not need a BIOS flash?

Actually there is some chance that the motherboard already came with the BIOS update, its random though.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on when the board was made they come with the latest BIOS for the manufacture date but their no telling how long it's been sitting on a shelf.

You need to get a board with the button to flash the BIOS without a working CPU just in case.

Board with a BIOS flash button.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Gallery

I would of got the less expensive 10700K right at the same (gaming) performance and will work with any Z 490 board right out of the box.

Last edited:
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
That is 100% not legit! Notice the 50% 1 star reviews you can also buy it and the code actually work then a couple months later it gets deactivated by MS.

Do you really think you can buy a 100 buck OS for 10 bucks that would be legit then why would anybody pay MS 100?

I don't even know why a site like Tom's would even let people link those and not perma ban the people that do.

EDIT The best thing to do if you can't afford the 100 bucks is just run it without activating it till you can pay for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dj0gany
That is 100% not legit! Notice the 50% 1 star reviews you can also buy it and the code actually work then a couple months later it gets deactivated by MS.

Do you really think you can buy a 100 buck OS for 10 bucks that would be legit then why would anybody pay MS 100?

I don't even know why a site like Tom's would even let people link those and not perma ban the people that do.

EDIT The best thing to do if you can't afford the 100 bucks is just run it without activating it till you can pay for it.
"The best thing to do if you can't afford the 100 bucks is just run it without activating it till you can pay for it. "
Or that.

Would I need a 570 board? It gets a little confusing the difference between a B550 and the X570.
You dont need a X570 motherboard.
5800X can run on a B550 without any problems.
Both have PCIe 4.0, same CPU support,etc..
X570 basically has a bit more PCIe 4.0 lanes, appart from that they are technically the same, but for one GPU and maybe a m.2, B550 will be just the same as X570.

tkp

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Sorry for all the questions, but there is a lot to learn to make sure it all works the way it should when I put it together.

I think I found the motherboard I want.
https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-gaming-b550-plus/p/N82E16813119348

It has the Bios flash button, and wifi.

But, I have a question about the M.2 drive . I have this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLYWMYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB)

Product Description:
The Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB) delivers all the advantages of flash disk technology with PCIe Gen4.0 x4 interface.
Based on TLC NAND Flash memory, its performance speeds can reach up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write) when using a PCIe Gen4 motherboard.
Using a PCIe Gen3 Motherboard Speeds will reach up to 3400 MB/s (read) and 3000 MB/s (write). Power consumption is much lower than traditional hard drives, making it the best embedded solution for new systems.
The Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD was designed using PCIe 4.0 which allows for speeds of up to 5000 MB/s (read) and 4400 MB/s (write), significantly faster than PCIe 3.0.
Note: In order to take advantage of these speeds, a PCIe Gen4 motherboard is REQUIRED. Otherwise it will be at pcie gen 3 speed at max of 3500MB/s. When installing any NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD directly onto a PCIe Gen4 Motherboard a Heatsink is required to dissipate the heat generated by the drives extreme speed levels to avoid thermal throttling and maximize performance.
The Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 Internal SSD is backward compatible with PCIe 3.0. Using a Gen 3 PCIe motherboard will enable the user to reach speeds of up to 3400 MB/s (read) and 3000 MB/s (write).

On the description for the Motherboard it has:
Storage Devices
SATA 6Gb/s 6 x SATA 6Gb/s
M.23rd Gen AMD Ryzen Processors:
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIe 4.0 x4 mode)
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen with Radeon Graphics Processors:
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
AMD B550 Chipset:
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support*
* M2_2 shares bandwidth with SATA6G_56. When M.2_2 is populated, SATA6G_56 will be disabled.

Would this motherboard be able to support the M2 drive at full speed?