[SOLVED] Need to flip power strip off and on in order for my PC to correctly boot

tpeyronel

Reputable
Feb 1, 2018
Hi,

I've been having this problem for some months now, and I want to know if it can be fixed easily. The issue is that my PC sometimes boot when I turn it on, and sometimes not. Let me explain: if i use my PC, then I turn it off and later I try to turn it on it will sometimes boot. When it does not boot it will turn all the lights on, fans will start spinning but it won't display anything. However, if I flip the power strip off, let the PC rest for some seconds and then flip the strip on and turn the PC on then it will correctly boot 100% of the time.
From my testing, it looks like the PSU it's causing this problem (I swapped my PSU with another one, new and better quality, and from the ~15 times I turned it on it booted correctly).
Can this be solved without changing my PSU? Maybe repairing it?

Specs:
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 750W
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X - Gaming 3
(I don't think that the other components are necessary)

Thanks

Solution
I agree. If it works with another unit, your psu is the problem.

All Thermaltake smart power supplies are of low quality. Not something id reccomend.

What is your budget to a replacement?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it is malfunctioning now, if you really want to risk everything connected to it that is your choice, but being cheap could cost you a whole new system.

money towards a quality PSU is the best money you can spend in a computer.
a low quality PSU can destroy any and every expensive device it powers when it fails.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
In what way?

In a properly grounded outlet most power strips protect from power surges and often include circuit breakers.

Sure they can cause issues if too much is plugged into them, but since most included circuit breakers this is less of an issue.

It's a fair question. In all reality, how many times do catastrophic surges really happen? Just how many times does your house actually get hit by lightning?

Add in the fact that the protection mechanism in them dies after typically 5 years you really have a multi-pronged outlet on a cord. It is kinda like buying extended warranties. They sound like peace of mind- but really cover only the things that they know won't break...

Wavy power and outages are a lot more boring than rare lighting strikes- and a lot more real.

EDIT: This does tie into the OP's issue. Skimping on a UPS is kinda like skimping on a good PSU in the rig. People do it all the time- but is it a good idea?

EDIT: I just wrote a paper on the useful lifespan of electronics. The gist of it was that electronics have a true usable lifespan. Also, even if things haven't outright died, sometimes holding on too long can be more costly(tangibly and intangibly) than buying something new. The most glaring example of that effect are old energy guzzling refrigerators.

I am seriously thinking of editing it and putting a paragraph saying that perhaps people should plug things into conventional surge protectors so they do die earlier. There would be a lot fewer guys agonizing over 20 year old PCs...

I have to think about this one...

Last edited: