Need to format SSD Drive

Inkredible69

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
I've finally got my first build up and running, but I hit a couple of snags when installing microsoft word and windows; nothing debilitating, but I'd like to format my SSD drive so I can neaten things up and get rid of a couple of small errors that keep coming up. My OS and some drivers are on the SSD, and its what the PC boots up from, but I do have a large HDD for basic storage. All I'd like to know is whether formatting my SSD will cause any irreversible problems given that the OS and more fundamental systems are stored in it. Bear in mind that I'll immediately be reinstalling the OS when I reboot.

Solution
Well that's a completely different story. You're good to go with those steps. I didn't realize that you had a Windows installation on your HDD, so yeah, if you boot to Windows by using the hard drive, you should be able to format the SSD, just go with "Quick Format", never use "Full Format" for an SSD (and never run defragmentation as well, while we're at it).
Hey there, Inkredible69.

You won't be able to format the SSD while you've booted to Windows with it, by using the normal methods. However you can use the installation media (DVD/USB) to format it before you start the fresh install.

If you format the SSD, you'll lose everything on it (OS, program files, data, etc). If you have programs installed on the HDD it's difficult to say if they'd work properly or not. If they do, they might not have their licenses. It would be better to reinstall them. If you have games on the HDD, make sure that you backup their save game files and setting files as some games tend to create folder on your C: drive in the User Folder.

So I think that's it. Please let me know if you were asking something different and if I've misunderstood you.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Inkredible69

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016

I don't fully understand what you're telling me; this is what I intend to do.
1- boot from the Hard Drive which also has a recent instillation of windows on it
2- from here, format the SSD drive
3- turn off and remove the hard drive
4- boot from SSD, reinstalling windows and drivers all for which I have product keys/disks
5- turn off and put HDD back in

Well that's a completely different story. You're good to go with those steps. I didn't realize that you had a Windows installation on your HDD, so yeah, if you boot to Windows by using the hard drive, you should be able to format the SSD, just go with "Quick Format", never use "Full Format" for an SSD (and never run defragmentation as well, while we're at it).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS