Need to free/move space from my SSD to my HDD... Been Using my SSD for EVERYTHING while my 1TB HDD was inactive!!!

The Gravy Monster

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Basically what has happened in my situation is that when i built my computer in 2013 i did everything correctly ACCEPT activate my HDD, these past two years i have been wondering why everything i have downloaded/ installed has gone onto one drive my 120gb SSD (Now 111gb for some reason) and never gave me the option to install it on my HDD.

I have went through the uninstall thing from the start menu and have deleted alot of programs from the SSD but i figure there is a crap ton of bull puckey, because it says there is only 32 GB available of 111GB.

I want to put The Witcher 3 on my SSD. and dont want any issues...

where are these hidden files??
What is the quickest and most effective way to get rid of the "crap" i put on my SSD. without removing my OS, or anything that could cause serious harm to my computer.

Also if there is a solution and i didn't screw myself, how could i avoid this in the future, what should i be putting on my HDD that doesn't need to go on my SSD? Drivers? security essentials? Searchlight? was kind of iffy about removing those because of the microsoft name...

I hope someone out there in cyberspace can help me with my dummy scenario!!!!

CHEERS!

PS not interested in doing a RAID unless its super easy..

Solution

OMG do not delete that. Unless of course you want to reinstall the whole OS and everything else.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Move your Library files. Doc/Music/Video/Downloads
See this:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Pagefile - Consider reducing the default size

Hibernation - Turn it off. See this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Temp files - see what they are taking up.

WinDirStat can also help visualize where your space is.

And 111GB for an advertised 120GB drive is normal and expected.

The Gravy Monster

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013

Thanks a bunch was thinking that about the 111gb thing being normal (thanks for clairifying) and i will try the other suggestions now will update with results! also can i just copy/delete the folders over from the SSD instead of makeing new ones?

"what should i be putting on my HDD that doesn't need to go on my SSD?"
Place on your HDD:
Pictures
Video/Movies
Music
Documents like word, excel or PDF docs
software installation packs
DVD images (for any DVD movie or other type of DVD)

What should be on your SSD:
Windows
Program Installations
(That's it... Some people don't even do program installations on their SSD depending on the size. But there isn't a program installation default you can set. Instead you must specify where to install each program during the installation, often that means do an advanced or custom installation to choose the install location.)

Word to the wise...
I've played multiple games from both my HDD and my SSD and it's been my experience that most games see very little benefit from an SSD. They load slightly faster but most games still take a bit to load. That's likely because the data is loaded fast enough but there may be other factors that require a the cpu or gpu to do some work.

The Gravy Monster

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013

Sorry just followed your steps, EZ good job. one question... i have a large folder called "App Data" which seems to have crap tons of stuff on it, from games i dont even play anymore (some i do) what are these files? are they safe to delete?

USAFRet

Titan

OMG do not delete that. Unless of course you want to reinstall the whole OS and everything else.

Solution