Need to get industrial PC with Win98SE resurrected.

amallon

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
We have an old industrial pc which we use to control a drilling machine. The hard drive failed with the click of death. I tried the freezer trick and found that I can read the drive for 30-40 seconds at a time before the clicking kicks in.

The drilling software is a nightmare to configure so I would like to use what I have recovered as a basis if possible

I am still in the process of recovering everything from the drive but assuming I can get all the files back this is my plan.

Format a IDE drive with a 4GB FAT32 partition connected to my Win 8 PC via USB dock
Put new drive into PC
Boot from Win98SE bootable CD i
Install WIn98
Take drive back to my Windows 8 PC and copy the files I recovered straight over the top of the clean 98 install.
Hope for the best!

I have tried imaging the faulty drive but I can't get it to stay alive long enough to get the image. They company who provided the machine in the first place are looking silly money to even provide phone support.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Joe_blog1234

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

your idea would probably work, it would be a good idea to have a bootable windows 98 floppy disk on hand that comes with the cd, if the drive doesn't format correctly under windows 8 you can format it from the floppy also it might not boot off the cd so having the windows 98 floppy might save alot of bother. if you could some how connect the data and power leads to the dead drive then seal it up and run it from inside the frezzer it could alow you more time to drag off the important files

Aditech

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Formatting through an Floppy is the only solution,i have tried this before.Or else always go for APC-3593P.Google this

Sakhs Modioths

Reputable
May 26, 2014
well i thing it is a cnc machine right? Well there are two options.1 buy any new computer with the pararell port (most cnc machines use this) and then you will have to get rid of any os on its drive to do this use g-parted live cd and format disk to FAT-32 watch some tutorials on youtube if you don't know english very well,If you do the software will tell you what exactly you have to do.
then insert the Win 98 cd and install windows. then copy all your files to the new drive.And then you are done.
2If you baught a new drive already just install windows and copy the files.

ON BOTH MAKE SURE THAT THE CNC'S PORT DRIVER IS INSTALLED . YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND IT SOMEWHERE ON YOUR OLD DRIVE IT IS SOMEWHAT OF A TRICKY THING TO DO

best solution is after you instal windows on it to copy all your system files back don't leave even 1 of them even if the same file exists it is maybe modifyied so overwrite the stock files also use the same username password etc.

if the program is called mach 3 or erlier then the only info you need is port and pins and motor tuning
however downloading a new installation you will be using a demo with 500 g-code lines max. it will not read any further unless you buy it.

if you are not sure about a thing don't do nothing.i don't claim any responsibility for any loss,damage,injury and/or whatever else.
contact your retailer of the machine and read the manuals
please let me know if you had any dificulty or if it works.