[SOLVED] need to install new hdd: in original bay or in backup bay?

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
my original hdd is failing; win 7 will boot briefly - then freeze and give me a b(lue)sod (bad sectors apparently), though I've been running it in safe mode (w/ networking) for months now. I bought a new hdd. should I: a) swap the new hdd for the old in the hdd bay? or b) add the new hdd to the 2nd (backup) bay?

if I use the 2nd bay - how do I prevent windows from booting from the orignal hdd? I will need to install win 7 from a usb drive (yes I have the iso files) on the new hdd. can I do this on the 2nd bay or would I absolutely need to install the new hdd in the 1st bay? Also - I was thinking I'd continue to use the older hdd for data and the new 2nd hdd to run windows and 'backup' data from the original

am I making this way more complicated than it needs to be? (i have a tendency to do that) - anyway
all suggestions appreciated -

oh - this is on a hp laptop; refurb elitebook 8440p

thanks
Kelly

Solution
To change boot sequence, which hd the computer goes to first to load the os, is changed in the bios under boot menu. It really doesn't matter where you put the hd's it matters what you tell the computer to do in what order.