[SOLVED] Need to Install Windows on new SSD, Need instructions.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
So I have an SSD that I bought few years ago, but it's almost failing and I don't think it can last another week, so I've bought a new SSD, trying to install Windows on it and make it bootable.

I have a USB and I even have windows setup on the USB, I just need some instructions on how to make the new drive bootable with the windows, and get rid of the old SSD afterwards.

Thank you!

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Here is the Tom's article on doing a clean Windows 10 install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
Thanks, before I start doing stuff, do I need to make the new SSD recognized by the windows where I choose if it's bootable or not(modes), or just plug in the SSD with the PC turned off and not do anything else to it just install windows?

Or I can just unplug all the drives and then plug the new one, and boot on USB.

D

Deleted member 14196

Thanks, before I start doing stuff, do I need to make the new SSD recognized by the windows where I choose if it's bootable or not(modes), or just plug in the SSD with the PC turned off and not do anything else to it just install windows?
Nope. remove old SSD, put in new SSD. plug in usb, boot to usb and let the installer format the partitions and install itself. Takes about 8-10 minutes total and you can start using/configuring it

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Yes, you want to power off the PC. Disconnect or remove all drives. Do the Windows install. Do a couple rounds of Windows updates. Then reconnect any secondary drives you will be using for supplemental storage.
Thank you, now I have around 20-40% more FPS on games that I play with a single SSD switch, even when games weren't installed on the almost dying SSD.