Need To know what to buy.

joelseguin

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Hi,

I'm new here and need help big time! I've got a 5 year old AMD something or other. 700 megs of Ram and a 1.5 year old 250 GIG hard drive. Now everything works pretty good in this computer. But I'm going to need a faster computer very soon.

Something that can Run Photoshop, Painter X and 3D Studios Max 8 or 9, and MAYA as well.

I know I need a new Motherboard, A Graphics Card, And a new CPU. ( as The ones I have are no longer sufficient for what I need)

I live in Montreal and will no doubt buy the parts through Sigmawave, or Microbytes.

My budget is around $800- $900. I know little to nothing about buying parts. Or the compatability my current computer would have with newer parts? Do I really need to get a new power supply and Tower? ( although in this tower only two USB outlets work... and that's annoying as hell)

So I'm trusting you fine folks here can help. I'd like to get this ASAP! So if you can suggest parts at a good price, that'd be great!

I guess I'm asking you to make me a computer worthy of a Concept Artist. ( you can check out my stuff here- www.joeljseguin.com)

And I don't even need the latest. I just need something that will run My programs, not the latest Games...

Thanks!!!!!

Joel,

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Maya question... why would you need both 3DS and Maya? I am getting into Maya shortly and it really seems like it will do all the same things... no?

Hardware... if you can recycle pieces it will help you to get more for less. I am not sure what case you have, but if it works then all you have to do is buy a MB of the same type (ATX, eATX...) and swap them out. If the HD is SATA II then can keep using it, if not can spend a few bucks and get an appropriate enclosure and turn it into an external HD... back-up etc.

I am not sure what versions of Maya and 3DS you have, I know the new ones all do 64bit... so might want to look at that so can benefit from the extra RAM. In which case grab 4 Gb of DDR2 6400 (2x2) for now and add another 4Gb later on... that will give you stable and solid. Then be sure and get the OS OEM... cuts the cost big time... I can get locally for $110 Cdn.

Will possibly need a new PSU... I would recommend something like the 600w stealthXstream... only because it has future useability with power for 2cpu's and 2gpu's... but there are others. That's the one I use and love... and it is pretty cheap.

Then could grab a 150Gb -250 Gb harddrive for all the programs and something like a seagate 7200.11 500Gb for everything else... I would suggest a raptor for the smaller drive as it would add some speed... but expensive.

Then grab a Q6600 (seem to float around $200-$250 or so) and a decent MB for around $150 (no idea on what one... outside my range) plus a new cooler (unless can recycle)...

Then grab something like the 9600 for graphics... I don't think you need better than that... but could maybe got for something a little cheaper... to shave some funds.

That should put you right around budget... but i'm sure can shave a little off here and there... but that would also give you a machine can use for another 5 years if keep everything cool.