Need to purchase a decent projector under $500.

whittakera

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Hi,

I am recently thinking of purchasing a projector for video and gaming rather than a big TV screen since I have to move out of school in half year. And I have no idea where I am going. Moving a big TV doesn't sound fun for me. I also hope I can use the projector for group study occasionally. So I would appreciate a decent size so that I can carry it with me.

I found this comparison video. It doesn't look bad. But is it trustworthy? Also, the room looks a bit dark to me. I would appreciate someone sharing the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaw1Zo3FKiU

Thanks.

You want a dark room for projectors to look their best. How they look depends on the quality and lumens it puts out and what surface you are projecting on. I would not use a cheap projector on a plain wall as my main screen. For a good result you need a special painted smooth wall or a screen along with a good projector which will run about double that of a decent 42" TV, about $1,000. I have used many projectors, best ones for quality and use in a lit room are about $2,000-3,000 and up.

whittakera

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I didn't see your message before I purchase the projector. I ended up with an AAXA M5. I have no other projectors to compare, but I do notice it is much darker than the one in the classroom. However, given the price, it's understandable, too. Anyway, so far so good. Appreciate your response again.