Question Need to relocate my GPU or cooling

rubantin

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I have limited space where I can have my PC. It is under my desk. The area is completely enclosed with back wall and drawers on both sides. So, the only way for air to get in is through my sitting area. It's like having a heater under my desk. And during the summer it's too much for me. I am considering trying to liquid cool my GPU and extending the water lines to put the radiator on the other side of my desk. Or is there a cable big enough to move my GPU 6 feet the other side?

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have limited space where I can have my PC. It is under my desk. The area is completely enclosed with back wall and drawers on both sides. So, the only way for air to get in is through my sitting area. It's like having a heater under my desk. And during the summer it's too much for me. I am considering trying to liquid cool my GPU and extending the water lines to put the radiator on the other side of my desk. Or is there a cable big enough to move my GPU 6 feet the other side?

You won't find a very long PCI-e riser cable. Your best bet is a custom loop with long coolant tubes and remote mount the radiator/fans. Just be sure to get a decent pump to be able to move that volume of coolant.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Moving the GPU that far would be difficult. Maybe there are six-foot riser cables out there, but I haven't seen them, and then you still have an issue of mounting. The radiator is a bit more plausible.

Since I don't know what the room looks like, what is on that back wall? If there's not much on it, perhaps building a solid shelf that can hold the PC would be a more practical solution. For a fraction of the price of a full custom loop, you could get an mini-ITX version of your board and a small case, and be able to more easily move your PC. Though I also know nothing about your PC; you didn't exactly provide much information here.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Can you supply a photo of your situation?

Air in through the kneehole is not the problem.
How to get the heated air out is.
Can you, for example move the desk 3" from the wall?
That would allow heated air to exit out the back and sides.
You could extend the size of the desktop with a large piece of glass or wood.
XXL mousepads could go on top.

If you have room on the sides of the desk, there are front panel extenders putting the start button and usb ports on the desktop.

rubantin

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
gpu.jpeg

Your picture is worth a thousand words.
What is the make/model of your case, and what is the fan arrangement?
I can not easily see the case.
What is the cpu and gpu that you need to cool?
Liquid cooling does nothing to reduce heat generated.
It just changes where the heat exchange takes place.

I think if you just pulled your desk some 3"-6" away from the back wall, the heat exiting the rear of the case would find it's way to the back of the desk and out the sides.
That would be an easy thing to test out.

If your case does not supply good front intake to rear airflow, then there may be a better case for you.

Do you need access to the front of the case for a dvd drive, usb ports or such?
You could put the case sideways, flat against the back wall so the hot air is directed to the side and out.
You could use a usb hub if you need to plug in usb drives.
You can power on with a remote power switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-AZMXDVP-Motherboard-Extension-Cable-M20/dp/B09LTT3JRB/ref=sr_1_1?crid=BU5KNSVAPGXE&keywords=remote+front+panel+power+switch&qid=1655562782&sprefix=remote+front+panel+power+switch,aps,87&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Liquid cooling does nothing to reduce heat generated.
It just changes where the heat exchange takes place.
Pretty much it right here. Liquid cooling can't defeat physics.

@rubantin , what you feel under the desk isn't operating temperatures per se, but how much power your PC uses.
You could liquid cool both cpu and gpu, drop 20C off both, and still have a heater under your desk, because the power use stayed the same.
You're going to need to figure a new location for that PC, or follow geofelt's suggestion to pull the desk away from the wall, so the heat has a path to travel up the back of the desk and monitors into the airspace above.

rubantin

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
The heat is unbearable when I play games. It is definitely of factor of the GPU. And the desk is built into the wall. So I need to be able to exhaust the heat to somewhere other than where my legs are.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The desk is built into the wall? Well the PC is going to have to be moved away from you somehow.
There's no other way... save for a really messy DIY custom loop with tubing running outside of the PC, connected to radiator(s), and away from you somewhere.

Oooh, or take a reciprocating saw to cut out a large hole so the heat can drift upwards... yikes.

Reactions: Maestro Colby
The heat is unbearable when I play games. It is definitely of factor of the GPU. And the desk is built into the wall. So I need to be able to exhaust the heat to somewhere other than where my legs are.
Could undervolt and underclock the GPU so it uses less power and releases less heat. You will obviously lose performance, but it's either that or change your entire setup, including either getting a new desk or get a portable air conditioner if you have enough space and route the tubing to a window.

rubantin

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I think I would like to exchage the heat on the right side of my desk... Do any of you know of a liquid cooler setup that I could customize with extended hoses for a XFX XXX RX 580 GPU?

With my monitors and sound it would be too much cable work to move. So, if I could just vent my GPU hgeat away from here, I believe that would help greatly.

You will have to move the pc out from under the kneehole.
How about relocating it somewhere.
  1. Will it sit on the floor on the left or right sides?
  2. How about laying the box on the side and placing on the desk at the left. Put the dark monitor on top of it.
3) Could it fit on top of the desk behind the dark monitor on the left?
Is a smaller case possible? Perhaps a home theater style case.
That could more readily fit elsewhere.
What cpu do you have? What is the make/model of the motherboard?

Could you affix a dryer duct to the back of the rear exhaust and duct the hot exhaust out from under the desk to elsewhere.
If you do not mind cutting the desk,
If you could cut a hole in the desktop, duct it straight up.

Do you have a budget for a fix?

RX580 is a power hungry card. Something like a GTX 1650 would draw some 200w less. If you do not need fast action graphics, there are some very low power graphics cards that might do.
You may need 2 to connect all 4 monitors. Have you considered a 48" LG C1 tv for combining displays?

Can you expand the photo to see more of the room?