Nov 30, 2019
Hi all!

So I need to remove the USB 3.0 cable from my motherboard header because I’m replacing it with a low profile extension to get it visually out of the way. Only thing is I’ve run into too many horror stories of people ripping apart the cable and/or the header in the process. I was wondering how much force I should apply and whether I’m at risk for damaging the header.

Thank you!

Solution
Yeah whoever designed the 3.0 header really didn't think it through.

Just be careful, pull it out as straight as possible, so as not to break off the plug. Any amount of force pulling directly out of the slot is fine, as long as you aren't pulling to the side too much.
Nov 30, 2019
Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate the help. So if I wiggle it along the short sides slightly will that help loosen it a bit too? Or should I just pull straight up? I know that there are small tabs on the cable holding it in place.

Yeah whoever designed the 3.0 header really didn't think it through.

Just be careful, pull it out as straight as possible, so as not to break off the plug. Any amount of force pulling directly out of the slot is fine, as long as you aren't pulling to the side too much.