[SOLVED] Need to replace a power button on an 8 year old Antec 302 case. Please advise/help

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I have a Antec 302 case on my custom PC I bought from AVA Direct about 8 years ago. I've been very pleased with the case but a few years back, the power button stopped working. I've gotten by with using the restart button but am looking to fix the broken power button as I have to restart if it slips into hibernation mode and is getting on my nerves.

I'm an advanced beginner with computer repairs- I've changed out memory and have switched out a dead hard drive and can follow directions adequately.

I found instructions on the Antec website to remove the power/restart buttons but don't know how to replace it. Are they case specific or is it "one size fits all"? My case is rather old and doesn't look like the current 302's on the Antec site. I'm not sure if the directions on the site apply.

I've requested support from AVA and Antec but have never gotten bad advice on the Tom;s forums.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Solution
The power button on many of those old cases wasn't momentary, I've had a few that were actual on/off switches. The one on my old Dell I took apart after it failed, and all it required was a little bearing grease where the spring armature was stuck and not clicking over for the return path.

Since you've looked into removal, and the switch seems bunk, shouldn't be any harm in taking a peek at the actual switch, if it is momentary and soldered to a pcb, you might be able to just rob an old mouse or similar for its momentary switches and resolder that in its place. Or might be possible to find an adequate replacement online from an electronics store or places like Amazon.

Co BIY

Splendid
Should be a simple process. Worst case drilling a hole in plastic.

You will need to get the right kind of switch - I think most PC main power switches are "Latching" - You press once and it stays "On" - you press again and it turns "off". The reset switches are "momentary" - You press and it is "on" until released.

I think this is the part you need to follow those directions from ANTEC.

Something like this might allow you to keep your current button and just replace the switch inside with a little bit of luck.

Amazon link to PC switch

41R3gozAc1L._AC_.jpg

Last edited:

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I have not purchased a replacement. I thought it wiser to figure what I need first

Thank you Co BIY I am a little sticker shocked. The power button you linked me was priced at $79. I may put up with using the restart button if replacing the power button is that expensive.

Co BIY

Splendid
Thank you Co BIY I am a little sticker shocked. The power button you linked me was priced at $79. I may put up with using the restart button if replacing the power button is that expensive.

I edited that first switch out when I saw the stupid price.

Try looking at my edited post.

You guys are too quick.

Also if your reset/power buttons were both momentary like USAFRet mentioned. Just switch the switches either in the case or at the board. Who uses the reset button ?

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Thanks Co BIY. That's better by a factor of 12! I may try the switching the connections but if a game freezes, I occasionally do use the restart button. Hazards of older games.

Thanks USAF Ret.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The power button on many of those old cases wasn't momentary, I've had a few that were actual on/off switches. The one on my old Dell I took apart after it failed, and all it required was a little bearing grease where the spring armature was stuck and not clicking over for the return path.

Since you've looked into removal, and the switch seems bunk, shouldn't be any harm in taking a peek at the actual switch, if it is momentary and soldered to a pcb, you might be able to just rob an old mouse or similar for its momentary switches and resolder that in its place. Or might be possible to find an adequate replacement online from an electronics store or places like Amazon.

Solution

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Here's the follow up for all interested:

I managed to only break 1 tab opening the case and removed 5 pounds of dust with a leaf blower. I discovered to my chagrin the on the mother board the 2 pins for the power button were separated by a space, so I couldn't replace the button with the ones I bought nor switch it out with the reset button as they were all 2 pin receptors connected. Oddly enough though, putting the system back together, the power button seems to be working now. Maybe settling the connectors better to the pins or maybe removing the dust did something.
"it's smarter to be lucky than it's lucky to be smart!"
Thanks to all for your input!