Need to replace IDE DVD Burner with SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hello,
My IDE DVD Burner is dead and it needs to be replaced with a SATA DVD. The DVD is hooked up on the first as Master. The desktop is a HP Pavilion a1247c with MOBO MS-7184 featuring 2 SATA connectors (used for 2 HDD) and 2 IDE connectors (used for DVD, CD-ROM). The new DVD Burner is connected to the ribbon through the use of an IDE to SATA adapter. When I enter the BIOS I only see the SATA HDD's and BIOS doesn't recognize the DVD & CD-ROM on the IDE connector. Windows 7 Ultimate does recognize the CD-ROM. It's clear the problem is with the new SATA DVD Burner. The question is: How do I connect the DVD burner so the BIOS will recgnize it and I can boot from the Master IDE/SATA connector?

I look forward to "see" your thoughts.

Thank you!

Solution
What I would do now is take the hdd that doesn't have the OS on it and connect it to the new sata controller card and then take the new dvd rom that you just bought and connect it to the motherbaord sata port. That way in the bios you will have the hdd with the OS and the new dvd rom as part of the boot sequence options.

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hello,
My IDE DVD Burner is dead and it needs to be replaced with a SATA DVD. The DVD is hooked up on the first as Master. The desktop is a HP Pavilion a1247c with MOBO MS-7184 featuring 2 SATA connectors (used for 2 HDD) and 2 IDE connectors (used for DVD, CD-ROM). The new DVD Burner is connected to the ribbon through the use of an IDE to SATA adapter. When I enter the BIOS I only see the SATA HDD's and BIOS doesn't recognize the DVD & CD-ROM on the IDE connector. Windows 7 Ultimate does recognize the CD-ROM. It's clear the problem is with the new SATA DVD Burner. The question is: How do I connect the DVD burner so the BIOS will recgnize it and I can boot from the Master IDE/SATA connector?

I look forward to "see" your thoughts.

Thank you!

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
The MoBo has only 1 PCIe which is occupied by a graphics Cards. There are 2 empty PCI slots and I am considering to place a SATA asapter into 1 PCI slot. What I don't know a thing about is how will BIOS find it and will I be able to boot from the SATA PCI adapter? I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit if that is of any importance.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I had only two sata3 ports on my computer and wanted two more so I added the card that I listed previously. I have a sata3 SSD connected to the card and my Windows 64 bit Ultimate is on that SSD and it is my boot drive which I am using right now making this post. Hope that answers your question. The card cost me $22.

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Hi Alabalcho,

I hadn't considered to get a DVD burner 64-bit (good point though). My main concern is when I get the SATA PCI adapter how will I install it and be assured BIOS and BOOT will function properly.

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Well,
I went ahead and ordered a PCI interface SATA controller and by the middle of next week I hope to get started to install the DVD Burner replacement.

Thank you for your expressed thoughts and concerns. I will reply by the end of next week with the results of my endeavor.

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Today was the day and the goods arrived!

I went to work at once, disconnected everything external from the box; installed the PCI Serial ATA and Ultra ATA Controller Card. Connected my Replacement DVD Burner (Pioneer DVR-S19MBK) to the powersource and to the PCI SATA Board. Kept the CD-Rom on the IDE ribbon (Slave). Reconnected everything external and threw the switch to ON. Pressed down on the F1 kay to get into Boot section. SURPRISE!!! The date is 1/1/2005, 12:00 AM. DANG I thought I had this issue solved.

Anyhow as expected BIOS recognizes the CD-Rom on the IDE channel second 1 and the SATA HDD's on the Third and Fourth channel 0. So, how do I go about my new Pioneer DVD burner? Is it possible to make it part of the boot drives as before and if so, how? I prefer the assurance to be able to boot from the optical drive in case of an emergency (failing HDD).

I love to read your thoughts and suggestions.

What I would do now is take the hdd that doesn't have the OS on it and connect it to the new sata controller card and then take the new dvd rom that you just bought and connect it to the motherbaord sata port. That way in the bios you will have the hdd with the OS and the new dvd rom as part of the boot sequence options.

Solution

hmanusa

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Thank you inzone. That was the answer I was looking for. I do appreciate your thoughts and the fact that you took the time to advise me of your solution. Again, many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.