Need to replace motherboard question

sirbassington

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Hi, so I have a question that might have been answered a thousand times here already but I can't seem to find the right forum posts that are similar to mine. SO this week my motherboard died and won't boot after the Windows Fall Creator Update and as a result I need a new motherboard for my Desktop PC.

-My current (dead) Mobo is a MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbdon (Form Factor is ATX) that supports 6th gen Intel processors and has the socket spec of LGA1151

-Current working CPU is an Intel i7-6700 (3.4 GHz at 8MB not sure if needed to know)

I wish to keep my CPU obviously and just wish to find another ATX Mobo that will fit my CPU but I'm not sure how to ask or research that. I see a LOT of Mobos in the ranges of Z270 mostly and was wondering if my CPU can be put onto a Z270 since I'm not really sure what the difference is between that and the Z170. And for reference, am I wrong for assuming that my CPU can be put onto a different board so long as the socket matches and any needed BIOS updates or whatnot are met?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes your CPU will fit and work in a Z270 without needing a BIOS update.

Z270 is backwards-compatible with 6th-gen, but Z170 is only forwards-compatible with 7th-gen with a BIOS update.

*Z270 (and Z170) is meant for overclocking, but you can still use it if you want to or maybe think you might get a K series CPU later. B250 and H270 are other options of motherboards you can get that may be cheaper, and of course B150 and H170.
Yes your CPU will fit and work in a Z270 without needing a BIOS update.

Z270 is backwards-compatible with 6th-gen, but Z170 is only forwards-compatible with 7th-gen with a BIOS update.

*Z270 (and Z170) is meant for overclocking, but you can still use it if you want to or maybe think you might get a K series CPU later. B250 and H270 are other options of motherboards you can get that may be cheaper, and of course B150 and H170.

Solution