Need to replace the HDD in my ASUS N53SV Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcernedDad

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I currently have a ASUS Laptop with Seagate Momentus 750Gb 7200RPM SATA HDD with 16mb cache ... it went bad after year and 8 months. Im leary about replacing it with the same unit. Comparable suggestions? It's my son's laptop and he uses it for college, some gaming and streams movies. I am considering switching to Western Digital for better warranty on a similar HDD or is there a better choice for similar $$$?

Solution

SSDs are not traditional platter based disc storage, but NAND flash memory based storage, with "cells" holding data. Because of the architecture, SSDs have 0 access time vs 9ms~ access time or HDDs, so there is no delay when accessing different data on the drive. Also, SSDs have much faster data transfer speed, so overall...

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I have bad experience with Hybrid Drives , and they are expensive too, this is the HDD you are looking: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136835

If you can add more money to the budget and want a real fast SSD : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226237

Almost everyone its upgrading their HDD to SSD when getting a new laptop, or upgrading to an SSD on old Laptops to get them back to life. SSD is the best upgrade you can do to any laptop right now.

ConcernedDad

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I really appreciate your feedback, I have never used an SSD before why do their capacities tend to run smaller in terms of Gb of storage space? Also in terms of power usage and operating temperatures how do they compare to traditional HDD? I'm not opposed to upping the budget I had originally stated to $125-130 if it will be a dramatic improvement. Thanks again I'm going to do a little research on SSD

goonbar79

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

SSDs are not traditional platter based disc storage, but NAND flash memory based storage, with "cells" holding data. Because of the architecture, SSDs have 0 access time vs 9ms~ access time or HDDs, so there is no delay when accessing different data on the drive. Also, SSDs have much faster data transfer speed, so overall performance is much better. However, HDDs still offer much better value for GB per $. For example, for $120, you can get 128GB SSD, but 1~2TB of HDD. So like I said, you can get the Hybrid HDD to get the best of both worlds for laptop unit, because you only have 1 storage slot, usually.

Solution

ConcernedDad

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Thank you both Laptops Veteran and CPUs Expert. I have decided to go with the hybrid as an upgrade over the HDD that was in there prior. In talking to my son he doesn't store a tremendous amount of data at this point on the laptop so I decided to go with the Seagate 500Gb SSHD Hybrid with 64Mb Cache. At 79.99 plus the extended 3 yr warranty at TigerDirect. It came a little under Neweggs price on the same drive with a 2 yr extended warranty. I'll check back and update my post after its installed and we are up and running again. Thank you again for both of your inputs, they were a great help. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.