[SOLVED] Need to reposition 6-pin ATX power plug on video card

Oldcompsci

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
All,

I have a need to mount my graphics card in a 3U chassis that has zero available height for the required 6-pin power plug which faces up toward the top of the case.

Does anybody have any recommendations/suggestions regarding the best way to handle this?

I've tried the 180 degree adapters you can get, but again, I have zero height so they aren't an option. Basically I need to change the position of the power plug to the side of the card.

I have the correct connector to do this (it's the reverse of the current one on the board since the adapter will be positioned on the opposite side). Just wondering if anybody else has experience and can provide some advice.

Top of Card
Side of Card

Last edited:
Solution
Only if you are comfortable soldering.
Just solder a properly crimped "pigtail" (might be a good quality extension cord with one end cut) to the back of the board. No need to remove the old plug (as long as it is not touching bare metal on top). You will need 90W soldering iron for those ground pads.
There is no way to move it unless you actually remove it from the board and run new connections to it, which is not a good idea to attempt considering how hard a replacement card would be to buy if this one gets broken.
Maybe use a riser card and mount it sideways if it fits.

Oldcompsci

Reputable
Apr 30, 2019
Yeah ... I knew I had to remove the existing ... the current graphics card shortage is a pain ... that said I have a couple backups ... one of which I'm using now. I like your idea of a riser card ... may have to look into that further.

Only if you are comfortable soldering.
Just solder a properly crimped "pigtail" (might be a good quality extension cord with one end cut) to the back of the board. No need to remove the old plug (as long as it is not touching bare metal on top). You will need 90W soldering iron for those ground pads.

Solution