Need to run server - Media Center upgrade to Pro

artbytes

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Since I am a Web developer, I need to run a server on my computer for testing Web applications. I've been using IIS on my XP Pro OS.

I need to purchase a new computer. Most of the systems I am interested in only come with Media Center 2005 OS. I have the upgrade disk (SP2) that will upgrade XP Home to XP Pro. However, I don't know if this will upgrade XP Media Center 2005 - or if Media Center 2005 will run a server - so maybe doesn't even need upgrading.

We also run a little work group for file and printer sharing. I don't know if Meida Center 2005 will work with that.

Thanks for your help.

artbytes

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks so much. Information about IIS is very hard to come by. They never mention that on the descriptions of Media Center Edition.

I take it that you can join a workgroup. We don't need the domain - just the workgroup for file sharing.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks so much. Information about IIS is very hard to come by. They never mention that on the descriptions of Media Center Edition.

I take it that you can join a workgroup. We don't need the domain - just the workgroup for file sharing.

Yes, workgroups and file sharing work the same as Pro.

I assume you know this, but I'll post this link for others reading this thread who wonder what IIS is, or how to use/install it:
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/IIS/iishome.php

BTW, MCE is a little more picky on its hardware requirements than Pro. Granted if you buy a new system, it will have met the specs, but for others reading - The minimum graphics card it needs is:
9600 - ATI (Old)
X300 - ATI (New)
5200 - Nvidia
I don't know if it will even install if your using a generic Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) on the motherboard.

artbytes

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Thanks for the help and the link. It seems that most of the new Windows computers available at retail stores have the Windows Media Center Edition 2005 installed on them. Evidentally, you can't buy that OS separately. You have to buy a computer with it already installed on it. That way, they can be sure that computers with the new media center OS have the right hardware.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks for the help and the link. It seems that most of the new Windows computers available at retail stores have the Windows Media Center Edition 2005 installed on them. Evidentally, you can't buy that OS separately. You have to buy a computer with it already installed on it. That way, they can be sure that computers with the new media center OS have the right hardware.

You are correct - MCE is not available as a retail version. You can, however, get an OEM version if your building your own system.

Since I upgraded my media server from 2000Pro to x64, I don't need domain support - so I use MCE on every computer I build. It has all the features of XP-Pro, and it's cheaper (OEM is around $100). Plus, the media features themselves are nice.

artbytes

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Oh - never thought of getting OEM forbuilding your own system. That makes sense, though. Thanks for confirming that MCE has what I need.