[SOLVED] Need to save SSD data before restoring

tlonsbury

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Apologies if this specific issue has been discussed before. I've googled a lot and haven't found exactly what I need.

I built my PC with an HDD, and a fews years later added an SSD. I kept both bootable but have been using the copy of Windows on the SSD almost exclusively, and just using the HDD for extra storage. For some reason my SSD is suddenly not bootable. BIOS detects it and allows me to change it in the boot order. Samsung Magician (running from the HDD windows) shows the SSD in good health and passing performance. I did just replace the PSU and the issue immediately followed although I never touched software, but at this point I feel like ive ruled out hardware.

As I understand, there is no way to reinstall Windows without losing any data, so my plan is as follows:

1. Back up my SSD to my HDD (there is plenty of room)
  2. Wipe the SSD and reformat
  3. Install fresh Windows 10 and verify issue is software
  4. Migrate my data back to the SSD

Is there another way to approach this?

Migrating to and from is the only part I'm not comfortable with. I can only find info on how to back up TO an external drive, not backup AN external drive. Is it as simple as copying the drive and pasting it onto the HDD desktop since OS files don't need to be saved?

Thanks so much for any help!

Solution
I've found some conflicting info on whether copy/paste will work and whether it will alias or thumbnail certain files. If I copy the whole drive are you sure I'll be able to just paste it back once it is reinstalled?
System disk needs to be cloned to new one, can't just copy everything in normal way.
If programs/games were installed on one disk are unlikely to run from old disk and will have to be reinstalled even if you point them to that second disk.
Any other data like pictures, music, films can just be copied over or played from where they are.
Apologies if this specific issue has been discussed before. I've googled a lot and haven't found exactly what I need.

I built my PC with an HDD, and a fews years later added an SSD. I kept both bootable but have been using the copy of Windows on the SSD almost exclusively, and just using the HDD for extra storage. For some reason my SSD is suddenly not bootable. BIOS detects it and allows me to change it in the boot order. Samsung Magician (running from the HDD windows) shows the SSD in good health and passing performance. I did just replace the PSU and the issue immediately followed although I never touched software, but at this point I feel like ive ruled out hardware.

As I understand, there is no way to reinstall Windows without losing any data, so my plan is as follows:

1. Back up my SSD to my HDD (there is plenty of room)
  2. Wipe the SSD and reformat
  3. Install fresh Windows 10 and verify issue is software
  4. Migrate my data back to the SSD
Is there another way to approach this?

Migrating to and from is the only part I'm not comfortable with. I can only find info on how to back up TO an external drive, not backup AN external drive. Is it as simple as copying the drive and pasting it onto the HDD desktop since OS files don't need to be saved?

Thanks so much for any help!
  1. yes
  2. Yes
  3. yes
4. Just copy data back to it, no OS or programs etc.

I've found some conflicting info on whether copy/paste will work and whether it will alias or thumbnail certain files. If I copy the whole drive are you sure I'll be able to just paste it back once it is reinstalled?
System disk needs to be cloned to new one, can't just copy everything in normal way.
If programs/games were installed on one disk are unlikely to run from old disk and will have to be reinstalled even if you point them to that second disk.
Any other data like pictures, music, films can just be copied over or played from where they are.

Solution