[SOLVED] Need to set my RAM speeds and timings right, I am new to this

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
So I’m in the MSI BIOS on my MEG ACE X570 and I need to figure out how to put the timings in right because it doesn’t look straight forward to me at all but then again I’ve never done this before. Before you ask I am not able to use XMP because the CPU (5900x) does not support the speeds for this particular RAM (Tridentz Royal 4000). So I’m going to try and run it at FCLK 1800 and MCLK 3600. I need to put my timings in so I went to the page and this is what I see: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/4E9umPF

I believe the timing of the memory is 17-18-18-36-56 when XMP is in at running 2000 MCLK. So essentially I have 2 dilemmas, not knowing where to put the numbers in and how and if these are even the correct numbers or does it even matter??

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gskill-trident-z-royal-ddr4-4000-c17-2x16gb-review
I believe this is the memory I have unfortunately I dont have the packaging anymore so I’m not sure if theres a way to tell what the timings are some other way. An

Anyways some help would be a appreciated even a walkthrough would be great but I digress.

Solution
Typhoon burner reads all the essential info from the ram itself. Things like who the OEM is, what chipsets, controller, rank etc. You can export all that info into Dram Calculator in 1 step. So you won't have to actually type in anything.

That'll get you all the timings and subtimings that you'll need. I just took a picture of that screen on my phone, went to my bios and where it says tCL (auto), looked at tCL line on the phone and plugged in that value.

Don't worry about order specifically, most times the order is the same, but different bios will change settings order sometimes. What's important is the name. tCL, tRFC, tRFC (alt) etc will be identical. That's a ram setting, universal, not subject to renaming at all. So while...

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Can you locate the memory from G.Skill's site?

While on DDR4-3600MHz, input the following from the top down
2T
I'll need to see the rams you have(link) to understand more).

So I’m in the MSI BIOS on my MEG ACE X570 and I need to figure out how to put the timings in right because it doesn’t look straight forward to me at all but then again I’ve never done this before. Before you ask I am not able to use XMP because the CPU (5900x) does not support the speeds for this particular RAM (Tridentz Royal 4000). So I’m going to try and run it at FCLK 1800 and MCLK 3600. I need to put my timings in so I went to the page and this is what I see: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/4E9umPF

I believe the timing of the memory is 17-18-18-36-56 when XMP is in at running 2000 MCLK. So essentially I have 2 dilemmas, not knowing where to put the numbers in and how and if these are even the correct numbers or does it even matter??

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gskill-trident-z-royal-ddr4-4000-c17-2x16gb-review
I believe this is the memory I have unfortunately I dont have the packaging anymore so I’m not sure if theres a way to tell what the timings are some other way. An

Anyways some help would be a appreciated even a walkthrough would be great but I digress.
To find more about your RAM
http://www.softnology.biz/files.html
To help with RAM settings and OC
To see present timings

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? Can you locate the memory from G.Skill's site?

2T

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/299/1595310793/F4-4000C17D-32GTRSB

2T

MSI MEG ACE X570 BIOS:
7C35v1D
Release Date
2021-01-28

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/299/1595310793/F4-4000C17D-32GTRSB

this is the ram

I’m not sure what you mean by input the following from the top down, do you mean in the Advanced DRAM config? Am I starting at the command rate?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Download Typhoon Burner. Use that in conjunction with Dram Calculator (it has an easy import option).

Thatll give you the best timings for your ram. Take a snapshot and just manually plug the timings in according to what title is used. This will include most sub-timings, which are essential for stability.

Nobody I've seen had been able to get 2000 fclock, even the professional reviewers, and keep it stable, what ends up happening is they'll manually set fclock to 1900/3800.

Latest bios updates should contain the ram tables for your ram, it's been out long enough, ram is upto 5000MHz now. It's not the cpu support or lack of, it's the motherboard ability to recognise the rams xmp profiles.

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
Download Typhoon Burner. Use that in conjunction with Dram Calculator (it has an easy import option).

Thatll give you the best timings for your ram. Take a snapshot and just manually plug the timings in according to what title is used. This will include most sub-timings, which are essential for stability.

Nobody I've seen had been able to get 2000 fclock, even the professional reviewers, and keep it stable, what ends up happening is they'll manually set fclock to 1900/3800.

Yeah i figured and I wasn’t shooting for that anyways I thing I was gonna go with 1800/3800, I was mostly just confused about what order and where you put the timings in because in the Advanced DRAM settings in the MSI Bios the timing labels dont at all seem to go in order and a couple have different titles altogether so I was mostly inquiring about that. When you say easy import option does that mean I can automatically import the timing straight to the BIOS without me having to plug in all the numbers manually?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Typhoon burner reads all the essential info from the ram itself. Things like who the OEM is, what chipsets, controller, rank etc. You can export all that info into Dram Calculator in 1 step. So you won't have to actually type in anything.

That'll get you all the timings and subtimings that you'll need. I just took a picture of that screen on my phone, went to my bios and where it says tCL (auto), looked at tCL line on the phone and plugged in that value.

Don't worry about order specifically, most times the order is the same, but different bios will change settings order sometimes. What's important is the name. tCL, tRFC, tRFC (alt) etc will be identical. That's a ram setting, universal, not subject to renaming at all. So while naming order might be a little floppy, the actual names of the values are good.

This is mine. You'd follow the main settings as in your picture, then open up sub-timings to get the rest. After that, I went to Tools menu and saved the bios to a User Profile. Regardless of any other changes I do/did make to other settings, I always have my ram settings available. I've since made other changes, saved those to other Profiles, but I still have a stock value profile with no changes except for ram timings saved.

Bios is a user only input. You have to do everything manually. Bios does not allow outside changes to itself, or hackers/virus freaks would have a field-day messing with ppls pc's.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No worries 👍

Hope it helps you out some. My ram actually didn't like the suggested main timings, luck of the silicon lottery I guess, but was perfectly happy with the subtiming changes. It was enough performance boost to add almost 1000 points to Cinebench R20 by itself. Further manipulatuons by lowering VID voltage got me another 300 points and dropped temps by 20°C which increased boost levels.

Fine tuning a Ryzen gets much more satisfactory results than a ham-fisted OC ramming high voltages and high temps at a cpu.

Good luck!

NoLongerHuman

Commendable
Sep 3, 2020
I did it but I just used the timings that Thaiphoon Burner pulled for me. I dont think that Ryzen DRAM Calculator works with my 5900X because when I imported the numbers to it it said that the xmp was 3200 which is false and a lot of the numbers didnt make sense unless theres a newer version I’m unaware of. Which in that case I will do more research into locating. But all in all I was able to successfully change the ram to a much better a speed and say significant performance increase thankfully. So I thank you all for the help.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Free software, free performance boost = bonus. Even if it only means an additional 5fps, that's the difference between a base model gpu and the super gaming OC version that costs a Lot more.

Tailoring your ram just saved you money. 👍

Doesn't get any better than that.