[SOLVED] Need to swap UEFI to CSM (and vice versa) periodically for computer to start

crisperson

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
10
1
18,515
0
Hey there,

I recently updated a few components in my computer and run into an issue every couple of days. I updated my CPU from 6700k to 12700k, mobo from MSI z170a gaming m5 to MSI pro z690a, and added a new SSD (but is not being used for the OS). (Parts list for full current PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NrJTbh)

What happens is something like:
  1. PC starts to boot and shows an MSI screen
  2. (PC optionally turns off and reboots again to the same MSI screen)
  3. At this point either it loads into Windows itself (I'd say probably 70% of the time these days) or ->
  4. Get to a blue (Windows I think?) options screen where I have various buttons to try things (not sure what to call this but it has buttons to click for troubleshooting, rolling back Windows update, going into bios, and a few others)
  5. At this point what I've found "works" is I select the bios option, go into settings and swap UEFI/CSM (i.e. if its on CSM I swap to UEFI, and vice versa, if its on UEFI I swap to CSM). PC reboots and like 95% of the time this "works" and brings me to Windows login screen. The other 5% of the time I just do the whole thing again and swap back, and then that almost always works.
Obviously pretty annoying, and technically it's a workaround, but wondering if anyone here has thoughts on what I could try? I don't really know enough about what I'm even doing swapping between UEFI and CSM here to understand what a possible problem even is (changing the BIOS was a suggestion I saw on another thread from something that didn't sound super similar, but ended up working-ish (however me still needing to go back and forth occasionally)).

One thing on my list to try next is just fresh reinstalling Windows maybe? I didn't do that initially when I did the upgrade (and because it initially worked, and then this stuff started happening, figured it was OK). But given it seems to be Windows complaining here, I'm thinking that's a decent shout? But anyways yeah, let me know if there are other thoughts here (or just general info about what is going on, for my own curiosity! :D)

Thank you!
 
Hey there,

I recently updated a few components in my computer and run into an issue every couple of days. I updated my CPU from 6700k to 12700k, mobo from MSI z170a gaming m5 to MSI pro z690a, and added a new SSD (but is not being used for the OS). (Parts list for full current PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NrJTbh)

What happens is something like:
  1. PC starts to boot and shows an MSI screen
  2. (PC optionally turns off and reboots again to the same MSI screen)
  3. At this point either it loads into Windows itself (I'd say probably 70% of the time these days) or ->
  4. Get to a blue (Windows I think?) options screen where I have various buttons to try things (not sure what to call this but it has buttons to click for troubleshooting, rolling back Windows update, going into bios, and a few others)
  5. At this point what I've found "works" is I select the bios option, go into settings and swap UEFI/CSM (i.e. if its on CSM I swap to UEFI, and vice versa, if its on UEFI I swap to CSM). PC reboots and like 95% of the time this "works" and brings me to Windows login screen. The other 5% of the time I just do the whole thing again and swap back, and then that almost always works.
Obviously pretty annoying, and technically it's a workaround, but wondering if anyone here has thoughts on what I could try? I don't really know enough about what I'm even doing swapping between UEFI and CSM here to understand what a possible problem even is (changing the BIOS was a suggestion I saw on another thread from something that didn't sound super similar, but ended up working-ish (however me still needing to go back and forth occasionally)).

One thing on my list to try next is just fresh reinstalling Windows maybe? I didn't do that initially when I did the upgrade (and because it initially worked, and then this stuff started happening, figured it was OK). But given it seems to be Windows complaining here, I'm thinking that's a decent shout? But anyways yeah, let me know if there are other thoughts here (or just general info about what is going on, for my own curiosity! :D)

Thank you!
You should've clean install windows as you're jumping from skylake to alderlake. It is better to clean instll windows at this point, nd set the CSM to off, then proceed with installation.
 
Hey there,

I recently updated a few components in my computer and run into an issue every couple of days. I updated my CPU from 6700k to 12700k, mobo from MSI z170a gaming m5 to MSI pro z690a, and added a new SSD (but is not being used for the OS). (Parts list for full current PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NrJTbh)

What happens is something like:
  1. PC starts to boot and shows an MSI screen
  2. (PC optionally turns off and reboots again to the same MSI screen)
  3. At this point either it loads into Windows itself (I'd say probably 70% of the time these days) or ->
  4. Get to a blue (Windows I think?) options screen where I have various buttons to try things (not sure what to call this but it has buttons to click for troubleshooting, rolling back Windows update, going into bios, and a few others)
  5. At this point what I've found "works" is I select the bios option, go into settings and swap UEFI/CSM (i.e. if its on CSM I swap to UEFI, and vice versa, if its on UEFI I swap to CSM). PC reboots and like 95% of the time this "works" and brings me to Windows login screen. The other 5% of the time I just do the whole thing again and swap back, and then that almost always works.
Obviously pretty annoying, and technically it's a workaround, but wondering if anyone here has thoughts on what I could try? I don't really know enough about what I'm even doing swapping between UEFI and CSM here to understand what a possible problem even is (changing the BIOS was a suggestion I saw on another thread from something that didn't sound super similar, but ended up working-ish (however me still needing to go back and forth occasionally)).

One thing on my list to try next is just fresh reinstalling Windows maybe? I didn't do that initially when I did the upgrade (and because it initially worked, and then this stuff started happening, figured it was OK). But given it seems to be Windows complaining here, I'm thinking that's a decent shout? But anyways yeah, let me know if there are other thoughts here (or just general info about what is going on, for my own curiosity! :D)

Thank you!
You should've clean install windows as you're jumping from skylake to alderlake. It is better to clean instll windows at this point, nd set the CSM to off, then proceed with installation.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY