[SOLVED] Need to triple boot (8.1, 7 and XP)

rkattar

Honorable
Oct 22, 2015
Hi All,

I have installed Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and 7 (32 bit) on one drive (SATA) (has 4 partitions). I also have another IDE hard disk (4 partitions as well) connected through a PCI card. My both hard disks are MBR type. I was thinking of installing XP on the IDE drive by adding one more entry in Easy BCD for XP and then boot into XP installation and install on the 2nd hard disk (IDE). Will this work. Could this in anyway corrupt my existing boot record for Win 8.1/7. Could somebody please help? Thanks.

Joe

Solution
it normally works best to install from oldest to newest OS.

will the pc even boot from the pci card? that's the first question to answer. i don't think it will but i could be wrong.

if it will let you boot from the pci card, then to save some issues i'd remove all other drives and install win xp without adding it to the boot menu. then reinstall the other drive once xp is up and running. then using the f8 boot menu at start-up you can select to boot xp if you wish to.

otherwise it will default to your other drive with the normal win 7/8 boot menu for you. likely the easiest way to save potential issues.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it normally works best to install from oldest to newest OS.

will the pc even boot from the pci card? that's the first question to answer. i don't think it will but i could be wrong.

if it will let you boot from the pci card, then to save some issues i'd remove all other drives and install win xp without adding it to the boot menu. then reinstall the other drive once xp is up and running. then using the f8 boot menu at start-up you can select to boot xp if you wish to.

otherwise it will default to your other drive with the normal win 7/8 boot menu for you. likely the easiest way to save potential issues.

Solution