Need to upgrade a PII 233

G

I want to upgrade an old 233 PII gateway I got a few years ago. It has a slot 1 LX mobo which I think is limited to a 66MHz bus and isn’t able to get a low enough voltage for any of the Celerons. I looked into getting a Slocket a little while ago and was revisiting the idea. Do some of the slockets control the voltage to the CPU? If so what would be a good brand and what Celeron would you suggest. Would I be able to go up to a 700 MHz celeron with the correct slocket? Or would I need to limit myself to pre-FC-PGA celerons which would limit me to a 533 or so I think. I would really appreciate any help or other ideas.

G

I think the fastest PII it will support is a 333PII. I think that anything above that needs a 100Mhz fsb. Im pretty sure that the Mobo is maxed at a 66MHz fsb. I dont think it would be worth while to just jump up 100MHz.

G

thanks for the help. I checked out that overdrive and it will only work with a system that has a 100 FSB. I'll look around and see what else they have though. 700 would be nice but I would be happey with 500 or 600.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I went back to tanat page and clicked ont the apropriat links and it brought me here:
http://www.evertech.com/prequal/default.asp
Cick on the approriat links, it says that you can only get 500 of 600 like you said. Sorry not 700, but at least it's something better than what you have now! I really think the 700 would be compatable too, though, as I think thaey have just done poorly on updating their webpage. Maybe you should give them a call. They all use Celeron processors at 66MHZ FSB. The only trick involved is the special slotket they use.

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check your mobo. My ABIT LX can do a 100MHz FSB and low voltages. No point buying a new mobo if there is no need. You could save the money and get a PIII of a celeron and overclock the FSB