Need to Upgrade Graphics, Not sure how to go about it....

AzraelAcid

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
Hello everyone.

About 5 years ago I made the most horrible mistake of my life, and purchased a HP computer with an integrated GeForce 9100 graphics card. At the time I wasn't a gamer, but now I am a shameful gaming addict, with the need to upgrade. The only thing I am afraid of is that I won't be able to upgrade this system, and would have to resort to getting an entirely new rig. My husband is somewhat good with computers, but by no means a tech.

I am trying to play Eve Online, and Elder Scrolls Online, but my FPS drops below 10 in most cases, and completely lags out or freezes in others. Even at minimum settings. I know my card has a history of overheating, and causing terrible problems, which is why I need a little guidance.

Here are my specs:

Model: p6320f

AMD Phenom II x4 820 Processor 2.80 GHz

Installed Memory: 8.00 GB

64 bit-Windows 7 Home Premium

250 or 300 watt PSU (can't remember, both are horrible)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9100 (integrated)

Acer Moniter, unsure what type, but newer at 1920*1080 resolution.

I believe I have a PCI slot, but unsure if it's a PCIe.

I was thinking of getting a NVIDIA 560Ti. I know I'll need a new PSU, but will I even be able to run this card (or equivalent) on my current set up? If not, are there any suggestions on what I can do? I mean, I would take a shotgun to it, but not until I had a new computer.

I'm not very computer literate, so please be gentle....

My budget is about $300-350 dollars.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

AirTony3997

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Go for a 7950, much better than the 560 in your case bc your cpu will bottleneck.
Great bang for your buck and will work like a charm!

AzraelAcid

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Thanks! I'll look it up!

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Wait..if her CPU will bottleneck a 560ti(it wont),how would suggesting a LARGELY stronger card be a good idea?

Plus the fact that the cheapest 7950s i could find(on newegg) was $229 compared to the 270x(a rebrand of the 7950) was $179...thats just bad advice for Azrael.

AzraelAcid

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Wow. Thank you very much for the info. I am researching a lot about what my system can handle vs. what I want to do. Turns out most likely will have to build from the ground up. Maybe, I could sink a couple hundred into this, but it won't have the effect I really want. So now my choice is to upgrade a little now for mediocre game play, or save and wait to build a whole new set up. In any case, thanks for the tip!

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Your processor isnt that bad,you wont be holding 60fps on high in new games with it,but its not dead yet.

You could always pick up a 270x(I wouldnt go for the 560Ti,its nearing obsolescence with the power it provides) to stick in it now and also use it in a new build. You'll see a HUGE,night and day,performance difference with it in ESO and Eve...Hell,you'll notice a big difference browsing the net! :D

EDIT: Be sure to get a new Powersupply for that 270x if you do go that route.

Neil Dangat

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
as i said earlier, but i wasnt clear about it , you can put a 750 ti in their, and it will run well WITHOUT A NEW PSU, anything higher than that would bottkeck by your cpu

CrispyChips

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I wouldnt buy a 750ti just because it wont require a new PSU when the OP plans to build a new rig soon.

Better buy a 270x and PSU now that you can also use with a new mobo+Processor later than toss $150 on a 750ti that will be underwhelming later.

AzraelAcid

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Thank you both! You have been amazingly helpful. I'll probably go with the 270x and a Cosair PSU just for now. Assuming I can run them. I have to check on the card to see if it'll be compatible with the PCI slot I have. But other than that. I should be good. Thanks so much!!