[SOLVED] Need to upgrade my Acer Predator X34 to ???

idgamerd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Hello and thanks for reading!

The warranty on my Acer Predator X34 (the 100Hz version) is expiring within a week, which means its time for a trade-in.

I was thinking of getting the Acer Predator XB273K, I was primarily considering it because of HDR but from what I read online the HDR isn't very good (HDR400) and also going from 34" down to 27" especially at 4K will require scaling and some getting used too (apparently larger screens are much better for 4K).

If anyone owns or can at least share some thoughts or opinions on the XB273K or my situation in general, I would be very grateful!

Another option I was considering is getting the new model of Acer Predator X34 (the 120Hz version). I can get it for 2 years and then trade it in again, maybe there will be better and more affordable HDR out by then.

I should also mentioned that my primary use for this monitor is PC gaming (a lot of FPS games). Let me know what you think, any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Well if its going to be a minimal costs then get the 120 uw. I went from 21:9 to 16:9 due to financial issues and it sucked. Although if you can check out that 4K/144hz in person I’d highly recommend doing so to see how it is.

Do you have the hardware to run close to 4K/144?

WildCard999

Titan
Why not just keep it? The X34 is an awesome monitor!

If you do consider an upgrade they do have the X35 which is the 200hz version with HDR but it's also $2500...

Going 4K/144hz could be a good option but then your going from 21:9 to 16:9 which personally I don't think I could do that as I enjoy the extra peripheral view.

idgamerd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Well the warranty I get on components is basically 100% money back (gift card), so I essentially get the warranty on everything (mainly video cards and monitors) so that I can upgrade/trade-in for the newest stuff every 2 years.

I'm in between jobs right now so I am really tight on money. I paid $1000 plus tax for the X34 (that's how much I will get back with the tax), so I need to get something at $800 range (because the warranty itself will be around $200)

I wish I could afford the X35 it looks AMAZING!!! maybe in the next 2 years when I save up..

I guess the best thing to do is to get the upgraded X34 (the 120Hz version). What about the "Dell Alienware AW3418DW", its also 120Hz and also 34". Hows it compare to the X34, anyone know?

idgamerd

Prominent
Nov 10, 2019
Well I'm not paying anything for a new monitor. I just have to trade it in to get new warranty otherwise I loose the money so to speak.

I guess my options are pretty limited between the XB273K (27" 144Hz 4K with low end HDR) or Dell Alienware AW3418DW (34" 120Hz no HDR) as they are both same price pretty much.

I guess I should stick with 34" right? I feel like going from ultra-wide 34" down to 27" 16:9 will be a HUGE adjustment.

WildCard999

Titan
Well if its going to be a minimal costs then get the 120 uw. I went from 21:9 to 16:9 due to financial issues and it sucked. Although if you can check out that 4K/144hz in person I’d highly recommend doing so to see how it is.

Do you have the hardware to run close to 4K/144?

Solution